iphone vs ereader

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paperhearts63, Dec 4, 2010.

1. paperhearts63 macrumors member

So I'd like to start reading books digitally but I can't decide if I should buy an ereader (if I did get one it'd most likely be the new nook color) or just download an app and read books on my iphone. The iphone is much lighter than an ereader and it'd be nice to use the iphone for everything and not have to carry around multiple gadgets, but on the other hand I'm not sure if the screen is big enough for reading comfortably. Can anyone help me decide? And no I don't want an ipad.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have an ereader, the Amazon Kindle, and an iPhone 4. One of the nice things about the Kindle is there are apps to enable you to read their books on Mac, PC, iOS devices, Android, Blackberry, & Windows Phone 7. So if you ever change devices, you won't have to buy your books again.

The iPhone screen is nice to read on, but clearly it will drain your battery. My Kindle can go approximately 2 weeks on a charge with the wireless turned off. I use my Kindle when I'm at home and generally when I travel. Another nice feature with the Kindle is their WhisperSync that will keep the devices in sync with one another so if you start a book on one device and then switch to another device, it automatically takes you to the proper place. Another Kindle plus is its readability in bright sunlight.

3. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I second the Kindle suggestion.

I just picked up a Kindle 3 for my girlfriend, and we both prefer reading books on it instead of on our iPhone 4s. I used Calibre to convert all my ePub files to Mobi.

4. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Since you've already got the phone, why not download and try all the reader apps for free before buying another device?

5. firewood macrumors 604

I have both a new Kindle 3 and an iPhone 4.

I like both, but I end up reading more ebooks from Amazon using the Kindle app on my iPhone 4. Why? It's with me more often; and I can read at night without turning any lights on.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

You can read books on an iPhone or any smartphone for that matter. For me, however, I read books on my iPad the screen size is just about the size of a normal book page (larger than most paperbacks), and when I get tired of reading I can either surf the internet or play a vicious game of "Angry Birds" or maybe a crossword puzzle. I don't think any Kindle can do that.

P.S. I have the Kindle app on my iPad and prefer the iBooks app for reading.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Ditto. I have a Kindle and like it a lot, I have a iPad and read on it all the time, but I've also read whole books on my phone. The reader apps are all free, and free books (not just public domain classics) are available. Download the apps and try it out, since it will cost you little to nothing to do so!

As for battery life, an e-ink screen beats an LCD hands down, but ereading on a phone or iPad typically uses the same or less battery life than moderate web surfing. Brightness levels have more effect than actually turning "pages" does. I can read a whole book on the iPhone 4 and still have plenty of battery left on a given day.

(I read more currently on the iPad (using the Kindle app, I hate iBooks) than either of the other two devices; the screen size blows them both away. But the resolution of the ip4 screen is just stunning for reading.)

8. skillz1318 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Get the kindle 3. I got one 2 weeks ago and love it! The screen size is great and you can adjust font size to your liking. E-ink is so easy on th eyes. I do read on my iPhone 4, but cannot for extended periods because of the screen. It's like staring at a pc monitor for hours. The kindle my eyes never get tired. Also the kindle works great outdoors in sunlight which the iPhone an iPad cannot so.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I personally prefer the ibooks reader on my iphone but it does have the disadvantage of not many other places you can read the books.

If you are interested in the kindle but want to know how well the phone would be to use, it's as simple as downloading the kindle app and buying a book to read off the iphone. If you find you don't like using the iphone, you can buy the kindle and read the rest of the book off the kindle ;).

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I have the latest Kindle and it's ideal.

So much better in any lighting, than my iPad. Don't get me wrong the iPad is very nice, but not to read books on once you've experienced a Kindle.

There's a reason Amazon sells so many. A lot of thought went into engineering it perfectly for the task at hand.

I could not be happier.

11. paperhearts63 thread starter macrumors member

I ended up downloading the ibooks app and reading books on my iphone. I don't find the screen to be too small, if you turn it to landscape it's the perfect size for reading, and reading for a long time doesn't seem to bother my eyes. It's so much nicer to just use my iphone for everything instead of carrying around multiple devices.

12. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I would definitely say read on the Kindle. Although my eyes aren't that great, I tried reading on my iPhone before, and I put a lot of strain on my eyes (even with my glasses on). I have the iPad, so I read on that, and that works for me. But out of the two, I definitely would go with the e-reader.

13. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

When reading on the iPhone, see if your chosen app lets you mess with colors - Bookshelf does, and I find it easier to read Yellow text on black

14. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

I just had my first experience with a Kindle and while it was not for very long I was impressed with it. I love reading on my iPad and my eyes never get tired. If I only had to choose between the iPhone and the Kindle I would probably choose the Kindle, but if the iPad is an option I would go with that.

15. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Honestly I like the iPhone or iPod touch size better for an e reader, you are much more likely to have it with you when waiting somewhere or on public trans.

16. Reventon macrumors 6502

I second the ereader suggestion. After reading for an hour, the bright screen starts to strain my eyes, especially in the dark. I have a Sony eReader which I can use for as long as I wish without any eye strain. I do have to use a light attachment or a flashlight to read it in the dark though. From what I hear, the Kindle is really nice.

17. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

My wife and I both use the Kindle apps on our iphones. To me, it makes the most sense. For me, I always have my iPhone with me, whether I'm at work (on break or lunch of course), waiting at a restaurant, or just lounging around the house. Plus, the backlit screen is a definite plus at times, namely in the dark. My wife works nights and I work days, so she is up late all the time and often reads in the dark. Black background with white text is what i find best for this. In daylight, I go for the Sepia background as I find it easier on my eyes.

Eventually, my wife may get a kindle to supplement her iPhone for reading, and with Amazon's system, it will integrate right in and will be able to read all of the books we already have (her devices are linked to my account so that we can share books).

I think you already did the right thing and just get one (or all) of the free apps for your iPhone and start reading. You can always add a Kindle or Nook later on.

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

been playing with the e reader apps. I love stanza but when I went to buy books in a series I was reading I was stuck. They were only in epub format or kindle or ibooks format. tired the epub reader but it locks my phone up bad (could be because it is jailbroken) I did not like ibooks because it does not have a night mode. kindle app is not too bad. not as nice as stanza but getting books is more practical.
    of course apples app is behind everyone else's in features.

19. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I use my iPhone 4 and a new Kindle. The iP4 is nice because it's always with me, and the kindle is too during the week in my laptop bag or the weekend in my backpack or messenger bad (I always carry a laptop) so for me it's a matter of where I am and how much time I have.

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Kindle is a great eReader, but I'd encourage you to consider the Nook Color and then root it. Then put the Kindle app on there and the Nook and Kindle apps on your iPhone. Now you've got both an iOS device and an Android device, plus full access to two complete pay libraries of books, free access to wifi at any Barnes and Noble or Starbucks nationwide AND access to tens of thousands of free ePub format books available via the internet or your public library. And both devices stay in synch when reading, automagically. Access to everything else the Android Marketplace has to offer is just gravy.

Kindle is a closed system...why lock yourself into Amazons coffers?

-sent via my rooted Nook Color, of course