swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
Hi all,

So I've heard some conflicting reports on this, so I figured I'd put it out to the MacRumors world.

Is it possible to charge an iPhone or iPad with each others' chargers? What's the difference?

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
It's not harmful, but the iPad is 10, where the iPhone is 5, so your iPad may charge slower with the iPhone charger.

AppleDude900

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
Canada
Hi,

Yes you may use both chargers but as stated the iPhone charger is only 6 watts and the iPad charger is 10 watts so using your iPhone Charger on the iPad will cause an increase in the charging time because the iPhone Charger is configured at a lower watts then an iPad Charger

bobdeveaux

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
Hell, I don't even keep track of which charger is which. I just grab one and plug it in.

The new iPhone chargers are tiny (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB706B/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ) and the iPad chargers are a little bit chunkier. That's how I tell the difference* :)

That said, my phone is usually plugged into my iMac all day at work via USB so rarely have to shove it into the wall charger! :)

*only bought my shiny new iPad yesterday :D

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
The new iPhone chargers are tiny (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB706B/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ) and the iPad chargers are a little bit chunkier. That's how I tell the difference* :)

That said, my phone is usually plugged into my iMac all day at work via USB so rarely have to shove it into the wall charger! :)

Congratulation on your new Ipad. However, did you know that the Ipad 3 is scheduled to release with less than 1 month away and Ipad 2 you can get it at a reduce price?:)

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/886018-...for-january-with-apple-releasing-two-versions

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle

Nope, don't even look. I just plug in, because it doesn't matter.

Congrats on the iPad. The other post about the scheduled release of the 3 is pure rumor at this point.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Nope, don't even look. I just plug in, because it doesn't matter.

Congrats on the iPad. The other post about the scheduled release of the 3 is pure rumor at this point.

the iPad 3 released date is not a rumor. It is confirmed by my local news last night and that the reason I pointed it out. Otherwise, I won't. I am not here to spread rumor and you can see my track record hy looking at all my posts. :)

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Any release date not from apple is just rumor for apple products.

On the charger concern just use the ipad chargers for everything, that's what I do. Having the ability to supply more current to something isn't going to damage it because it won't ask for it.

The other way round in using a small charger on the ipad is going to take damn near forever to charge it, but will not damage it. I don't even think it will display charging.

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Hi all,

So I've heard some conflicting reports on this, so I figured I'd put it out to the MacRumors world.

Is it possible to charge an iPhone or iPad with each others' chargers? What's the difference?

I have my iPad charger every time, the iPhone charger is very small and charges slower. I doubt there would be a problem with using either one because just like when you plug your iPhone into one of the ihome products, it tells you "This accessory is not optimized for this iPhone". You should be fine, it definitely charges it faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.