iPhone vs. iPad Charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by swwack91, Dec 26, 2011.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

So I've heard some conflicting reports on this, so I figured I'd put it out to the MacRumors world.

Is it possible to charge an iPhone or iPad with each others' chargers? What's the difference?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It's not harmful, but the iPad is 10, where the iPhone is 5, so your iPad may charge slower with the iPhone charger.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

And it's totally kosher to charge the iPhone with the iPad charger?

4. AppleDude900 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Yes you may use both chargers but as stated the iPhone charger is only 6 watts and the iPad charger is 10 watts so using your iPhone Charger on the iPad will cause an increase in the charging time because the iPhone Charger is configured at a lower watts then an iPad Charger

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Hell, I don't even keep track of which charger is which. I just grab one and plug it in.

6. bobdeveaux macrumors newbie

The new iPhone chargers are tiny (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB706B/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ) and the iPad chargers are a little bit chunkier. That's how I tell the difference* :)

That said, my phone is usually plugged into my iMac all day at work via USB so rarely have to shove it into the wall charger! :)

*only bought my shiny new iPad yesterday :D

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Congratulation on your new Ipad. However, did you know that the Ipad 3 is scheduled to release with less than 1 month away and Ipad 2 you can get it at a reduce price?:)

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/886018-...for-january-with-apple-releasing-two-versions

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Nope, don't even look. I just plug in, because it doesn't matter.

Congrats on the iPad. The other post about the scheduled release of the 3 is pure rumor at this point.

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

the iPad 3 released date is not a rumor. It is confirmed by my local news last night and that the reason I pointed it out. Otherwise, I won't. I am not here to spread rumor and you can see my track record hy looking at all my posts. :)

10. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Any release date not from apple is just rumor for apple products.

On the charger concern just use the ipad chargers for everything, that's what I do. Having the ability to supply more current to something isn't going to damage it because it won't ask for it.

The other way round in using a small charger on the ipad is going to take damn near forever to charge it, but will not damage it. I don't even think it will display charging.

11. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I have my iPad charger every time, the iPhone charger is very small and charges slower. I doubt there would be a problem with using either one because just like when you plug your iPhone into one of the ihome products, it tells you "This accessory is not optimized for this iPhone". You should be fine, it definitely charges it faster.