iphone vs iphone 3G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pipponino, Aug 24, 2008.

1. pipponino macrumors newbie

I bought an original 8 gig iphone. For the most part I am happy with it. I run my entire business off of it. I was trying to get a simple straight forward explanation of the difference between the phone I have and the new phone the 3g. I am trying to see if the new features would justify the purchase. I have been told that there are many new features and it is worth buying an new on and I have been told it is a waste of money. Anyone with a simple talk in english would really help me out.

Thanks in advance for your time...

Pippo

2. Haruk macrumors member

Don't do it, waste of money if you already have the original one

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

you get 3G and GPS, clearer and louder speakers, and a slight redesign, thats all. if you're happy with the 2G, stick with it

4. yode macrumors 6502

the ability to browse websites and take calls at the same time is an added bonus with the 3G

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

You should check to see if you are in a good 3G coverage area before you buy one. If the answer is you are, I would invest in one. It also has GPS which I find is a really useful feature. :)

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Waste of money especially with all the issues people are having. If the 2G works fine stick with it. The 'new' features of the 3G model i.e. 3G and GPS are plagued with issues as it is

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i personally think the gps feature and all the location based services derived from it make it extremely useful imo

8. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

If the current one is working fine for you, then stick it out until the next iPhone is released.

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

[A] Where do you live? If you live in the US, the deal is crippled by AT&Ts incomplete 3G network. If you live in Europe, you will see better speeds almost everywhere, due to the better infrastructure of most of the European service providers.

Do you already have the 2.0.x software update. This gives you the ability to use the App Store to install 3rd party Apps, which is one of the biggest appeals.

Aside from 3G, GPS and the speaker, the iPhone 3G is almost identical to your current phone (same screen resolution, same camera, same processor, same graphics chipset etc.)

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Chances are you won't have any problems with a 3G. I bought my first one on launch day and waited 30 days to buy a second one. I have both still and they work 100% as advertised. 3G works perfectly and this phone never stops amazing me! I love showing it off at work! Much better than the original iPhone.

11. Madvillain Guest

I agree 100%

I wish I had never bought a 3G. The 1st one worked fine. The new one does not.

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Seconded, I love my 3G, but I never had a first gen. My friend with a 3G wishes he could have his old first gen back

13. Maui19 macrumors regular

I had an original iPhone and loved it. I upgraded to the 3G for $200, then sold my old phone on eBay for $350. My 3G phone sucks with 3G enabled, but I just turn off 3G and it works great--just like my old phone--plus has some nice new features. Eventually, they will get 3G fixed and I will be ahead of the game.

I didn't want to wait to upgrade because I wanted to sell my old phone while prices were still good.

14. pipponino thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your time..

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to me. It was really great I appreciate if very much... Looks like I will wait to make a purchase when the upgrade is more substantial.

Again much thanks!!!!