iphone vs iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BradleyGaulden, Sep 1, 2008.

1. BradleyGaulden macrumors member

i was wondering if i should just get a 16 gig old iphone or a 16 gig 3g iphone.

other than the headphone thing, and the 3g speed, the old iphone does everything the new one does, right?! i mean i could just download the 2.0 software to it and they would be the same!

the 3g iphone has alot of bugs and problems with it right now, or is that the 2.0 software?

im all confused!! :p

thanks!

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

The iPhone 3g has a lot of considerable amount of welcomed differences when you switch from the first generation to the 3g version, like much improved speakers quality/volume, flushed headphone jack so you can use any earphones, and the 3g data speeds make a hell of a difference. The only "bugs" on the 3g iPhone hardware its self is said to be the 3g chipsets, which apparently have been fixed so whatever bugs the 3g version has the first generation has as well. I would go for the 3g version.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Do you live in a 3G covered area?

The 3G has GPS.

3G voice quality is higher, if you have a signal.

There bugs in the 2.0 software for many, regardless of which phone.

There are problems with the 3G radio/chip/network for some.

4. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

iPhone 3G also has a GPS receiver and a better speaker. In addition to that, Apple is saying it has better reception due to the plastic back.

Many are reporting the problems are with the 2.0 software, and not *necessarily* with the iPhone 3G hardware. I don't have one (I kept my first gen iPhone) to back that up, but that's what I've read around the interwebs. Personally I like the 2.0 software. I do think the software is less stable (more crashes) and my iPhone syncs are longer. Other than those two things, the addition of the apps more than make up for it.

In the US, the first gen iPhone service is also cheaper. If you are near wi-fi spots all day or aren't near 3G coverage, then I'd say the first gen iPhone is better for you.

5. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

no its not the hardware. Thats been tested a few times. The networks just kinda new is some places so its slow sometimes for people. Personally here in Michigan, no trouble with 3G as far as dropped calls and such. I turn 3G off at home because i have wifi and stuff and my battery goes a lot longer because of it.

6. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I just switched to a 16gb 3g yesterday and it's a big improvement over my old iPhone, 3g is so much faster than edge, the gps is cool and the 8 extra gigs are really nice, I would recomend a 3g over a 2g iphone anyday.

7. stoich macrumors member

8. BradleyGaulden thread starter macrumors member

ohk

yea i live near the Dallas/Ft Worth 3g area, but like right on the edge, like if im in my living room i get 3g and then in my bed room i sometimes get 3g sometimes i dont! lol well according to my blackjack that is.

ohk, thanks. my upgrade isnt for another month so hopfully more of the bugs will be fixed by then!!

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The only reason I upgraded was for the 16GB storage space; I was very happy with my 1st gen iPhone. It was a solid unit with no hardware issues at all (good screen, perfect construction, etc). Bought a new SIM card for it and activated it for my daughter.

I don't need the GPS built-in to the phone, really, since both my car and wife's car have GPS systems. I don't really need the 3G data speed as there's nothing I'm doing online with the phone that I can't wait 10 more seconds for.

But the extra 8GB of space was definitely worth it for me. The original 8 gigs I filled up right away. Plus, I anticipate some sizable apps eventually, and the extra space will potentially allow for more of those. Now with 16 gigs I still have ~3GB free and that's with some extraneous material that I could easily do without (some additional movies I keep in case the kids get too rowdy and need something to do).