iPhone vs. iPod Touch for music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chuchichan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

Do the iPhone and iPod Touch both play music with the same quality? Are there any differences? My initial thought would be that they are equal, but I just have a sense that the iPod Touch might be better because it is more of a dedicated player and doesn't have the phone functionality to interfere with it...

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The only time the phone functionality interferes with the Music is when someone calls you and music gets turned off (this is why I also have an iPod nano dedicated to just my music/podcast). Other than that, its the same.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The iPhone would have equal or better hardware. It is, after all, Apple's flagship iPod.

Umm, how do you listen to audio and talk on the phone at the same time? If you're listening to something and someone calls then the audio fades out, you have the conversation, then the music fades back in when the call ends. If you have something separate, then you have to manually pause your Nano then take the call.

5. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the iPhone have some option where you can choose not to have the music fade out and just display the call when you receive a call?

6. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@Chuchichan, have you tried it with the silent switch flicked on?

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If it's there, I don't recall seeing it.

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

iPod touch 4 is by far the best form factor of the touch line. Super thin, but still enough weight to not feel flimsy. I would never consider having both an iPhone and an iPod touch; it would be such overkill.

9. saving107, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I should clarify (and this is just my personal usage).

I don't always want to be interrupted by a phone call and I don't always care to answer my phone when it rings/get a text message. Their are moments when I am driving, at the Gym, taking my dog for a walk or listening to music wile playing a game that I would rather focus on what I'm doing rather than take a call.

Thats why I have the iPod nano, I will take that with me on my walks and I will just leave my iPhone at home.

My best solution is to put the iPhone into Airplane Mode, then turn WiFi On. That way you could still browse Online/App Store, but not get interrupted by a call.

10. Chuchichan thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually don't have an iPhone yet...still deciding between iPhone 4 and iPod Touch.

11. utneon macrumors regular

i purchased the ipod touch 4 in september. ended up selling it this month 80$cheaper so i can buy an iphone 4. it really is troublesome to bring with you 2 devices in your pocket.

but i loved the ipodtouch4, ultra thin very very nice:)

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

But you can turn the music back on once you're on a call, and have it play in the background.

Now, why you'd want to do that I'm not sure, but I discovered this ability quite by accident once... :D

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure what you mean by "dedicated music player," the only difference between the iPod Touch and the iPhone in that respect is the cellular antenna and GPS chip, neither of which would really effect music playback. We haven't seen a dedicated music iPod since gen 3.