iPhone vs. iPod touch + Palm Centro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrgreen4242, May 22, 2008.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

OK, cell contract is up in August, and I'm looking at my options. Here's the breakdown:

Already have a 16gb touch - love it. Can get a Palm Centro from Sprint for ~$50 after rebates/line credits. Can get 500 anytime minutes, unlimited nights/text/data/m2m/etc for $30/month (Sprint SERO plan).

Alternatively, could add an iPhone to my Mothers existing ATT family plan (she currently has an iPhone). Would cost about the same, $30 per month for the line and iPhone data plan. Probably get about 250-300 minutes of her shared pool (typically enough for me). Would sell/trade the iPod for iPhone, and likely get a "free" phone for add the line, which I would sell to fund getting a 16gb iPhone (instead of an 8gb) or maybe an 8gb iPhone + 2gb shuffle + some accessories.

The pros/cons for/against an iPhone as I can see them (+ = pros for iPhone/cons for Centro+touch, - = cons for iPhone/pros for Centro+touch):

+ iPhone is really nice. I love the touch, adding the camera, data anywhere would be great.

- Would hate to have my phone battery drained by multimedia usage.

- Hate to have my iPod drained by long phone usage.

- Centro IS a nice handheld, and PalmOS integrates well enough with OSX and Windows to be pretty supportable on multiple email services (for work and home, etc). Not an iPhone, but a good little smart phone. Would still have touch for high speed wifi access and multimedia.

+ One device to carry would be pretty convienient (single charger, etc).

- I actually DON'T like the iPhone as a phone - I find it, and almost all other "smart phones" to be a little wide for comfortable use.

- I HATE AT&T. (I actually have had really good service from Sprint, despite their negative image right now. Conversely, I have had terrible horrible service from ATT, both the wireless and land line divisions)

- This is silly, but, iPhone users sometimes come off as a little pretentious. (Sorry iPhone owners! It's not all of you, just some people ruining it for the rest!)

- Mooching off my Mom's family plan is a little lame for someone in their late-20's, but we did just have her first grandkid, so money is a little tighter than it would be otherwise.

+ New iPhone (by the time my plan expires Aug 1st) could be even cheaper and have more features than the current model.

So, it's 3-7 in favor of the Centro/touch combo, but the question is whether the 3 for the iPhone are good enough to outweigh the 7 against... Any opinions?

2. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    Wait for sure until the new iPhone comes out to compare. I'm a fan of Palm devices, so I think you'd be pretty happy with centro, plus you can stay away from at&t. I personally have been happy with my at&t service. I didn't use the iPhone long enough to say if I like it enough to keep it.

3. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Has the Palm OS been upgraded or improved recently? I've used a Palm for the past five years or so. When my current Palm dies, I'll be hesitant to replace it with another Palm. It seems Palm has stagnated -- I've seen no advances since the Zire 72 that I bought three years ago. By all accounts Palm marketshare is plunging, and they've been thrashing about, unable to find a coherent vision (witness the aborted keyboard device from last year). The Centro looks like little more than a cheaper Treo.

In contrast, Apple and its iPhone -- though not a true PDA yet -- has replaced Palm as the visionary for handheld computing. The iPhone seems to couple telecommunications and personal computing far more organically than Palm has in even with their substantial lead.

I say wait until the AppStore opens -- if the PDA-type programs you want are available on the iPhone, I think that's a good way to go.

Conversely, spend some time with a Palm and see if you enjoy using it. You already know how your iTouch is, so you'll have a good comparison.