Iphone vs Ipod touch... Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly1, Nov 20, 2013.

1. pauly1 macrumors regular

I purchased an ipod touch a few years back it was a 4th generation 32gb ipod touch. Got it for 275 dollars or so when it was pretty new. I liked it a lot and reason why i bought it was b/c i had a friend who had one and wanted another ipod... i had an ipod nano that i liked but the screen of the ipod touch made me want to get one. At that time, I didn't want to get an iphone b/c i already had a phone and thus didnt want to pay for another plan. However... back at that time... i had no idea you could use an iphone like an itouch b/c assuming you get an iphone and dont sign up for a plan... you can still listen to music and use wifi etc. But of course the iphone would cost more.

However... the way i look at it now... isn't getting an iphone almost always better than an ipod touch? At the moment, i dont have an ipod touch anymore b/c it is broken now and want to get another one. The thing is isn't it better to get an iphone instead b/c you can always use it as a phone later on? What i dont get is this. If you check online right now on amazon... you could get a 4th generation 32gb ipod touch for around 210 dollars or so new. But you could also pay 226 dollars or so for an iphone 4 that is 8gb so basically same cost.

I mean if you already have a cell phone plan such as an android or any other phone i can see you not needing the iphone. But for the same price roughly.. wouldnt it make sense to get the iphone 4 that is 8gb with virgin mobile than a 32gb ipod touch? Obviously there is a huge size difference with 32gb and 8gb but the ipod touch to me always felt pretty cheap and when you feel the iphone... it just feels like gold.

So for me, should i get an iphone 4 instead of a ipod touch if its same price? I dont really understand why ppl bother getting an ipod touch. Yes an ipod touch can be just like an iphone if you have wifi so you could text and call ppl but again it isn't an iphone.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Depends on what you need really. If you need it for music, wouldn't you rather have the 32GB iPod? 8GB runs out pretty fast..trust me. With iOS software alone it's already about 2GB.

3. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

if it's the same price and if data plan is not required, getting an iPhone has it's advantage. and if that's the case, i will do it. iPhone over touch anytime.

4. Mindy60 macrumors regular

If you want to use an iPhone for music and not to use as a phone, get a 32GB unlocked phone. (But they are way more expensive.) Because you aren't going to know what carrier will have the best rates if you decide to use it as a phone. When you move back to the states you could still use that same phone. I think that's the way to go. But it is more expensive. Check out Apple's site on the 5s unlocked phones. Like I said, they are more expensive but sounds like it might fit your needs right now.

But you could always put Skype on an iPhone and use wifi with it. But Skype on the iPhone really sucked on the older iPhones (prior to the 5s) because when you get a call and swipe to unlock it and enter a passcode, the call would be terminated. With the 5s the fp recognition works with it and doesn't disconnect you.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You keep asking people why do this, but you answered your own question: You said at the same price you get a 32GB Touch vs a 8GB iPhone4, but you immediately dismissed it. WHY?

For most people they NEED 16GB, 32GB etc. That's why they do it.

If you only need 8GB, you know this for sure, your future media library won't increase OK, then you go ahead and get a phone.

Most people, if they only need 8GB now, they want to buy a little insurance in the likely event that their media library is going to increase in size.

Looking at your other post, you don't seem to have a grasp for timeline, future planing, wants vs needs.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

It really depends on your needs. Some people use an iPod touch for when they workout. They may not want to use their iPhones in fear of it breaking. Having a iPhone you can use the Apps more that require wi-fi connection. Like the store apps and GPS.

iTouch is more for gaming and music. I like using the Maps app on my iPod. Occasionally it will connect to some random wifi and wipe away my directions.

Apple should stop making 8GB anything especially when your OS is close to 4GB.

7. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

This is certainly a valid question to ask. As others have pointed out, the answer will depend mostly on your individual needs and wants.

I do not have an iPhone or any smart phone. The data plans and contracts are ridiculously expensive for the small amount of time I need to spend on a phone. T-Mobile, which is more reasonable, doesn't have coverage where I need it. I have an LG "dumb" clamshell phone that is paid for. It is smaller and lighter than any iPhone. I use it with a prepaid Verizon voice plan that has zero taxes or fees. My normal monthly expense for this plan varies from $3 to $8, and I can take advantage of the extensive Verizon coverage when traveling.

I also have (and love) a 5th generation 32 GB iPod Touch. This is also smaller and lighter than any iPhone, runs iOS7, and makes very reliable voice and video calls over wifi using either Google Hangouts or FaceTime at zero cost.

When I do need a data connection when traveling away from wi-fi, or a GPS connection, I use my iPad 2 with the Verizon $20 per month prepaid data plan. This will soon be replaced with an iPad mini retina.

The good news is that there are a wide range of options available and you can strike your own personal balance between cost and convenience.

One option that I do wish was available would be the iPod touch with GPS and cell data plans like the iPads!

8. boondocks, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

boondocks macrumors member

I recently switched from a similar setup (pre-paid CDMA dumbphone + iPod touch) to an iPhone to consolidate two devices into one. I am using an AT&T MVNO that cost (minimum) $10/90 days*, which is actually cheaper than my previous pre-paid dumbphone plan. My only wish is that Verizon had such MVNOs for smartphones (as they have better coverage in my neck of the woods).

*From your balance it is 5c/minute to talk, 10c/MB for cellular data and, 5c/text. Since I do not text, use nearly exclusively wifi for data and talk very little, this works for me.

9. Mrbobb, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

Am surprised to hear there are no Verizon MVNOs that fits your need.

Combining an iPod to an iPhone is no-brainer, who wants to carry 2 devices when 1 does the job of 2?

Yes one can use an iPhone as an iPod only because you like the feel, look what not, that's fine. But as several mention you don't have to be responsible for a run-of-the-mill post-paid plan at usd$50 and up if you don't want to, there are alternatives but it does require that you know your usage and some research, and fork up front for an un-subsidized phone.

My average monthly is $10. I use RedPocket at&t MVNO, on my iPhone 4s, their data rate is expensive, 33c a MB but I only use that occasionally as am always near a WIFI. Works for me! $10 bux a month. Can't beat it, on a SMARTPHONE. Data whenever I need to (Checking traffic, Googlemaps that's it), not limited.

10. boondocks macrumors member

There are not many CDMA MVNO's, and the ones I know of all need to have the phone bought from them directly (i.e. no BYOD). I'm a little hazy on StraightTalk's technology (what networks do they use?) but in any case their plans would be too much for me. My monthly "bill" (more like usage) is around $3-5 with my current provider/plan.