iPhone vs. iPod Touch w/ Blackberry 8800 (VZW)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwahab, Dec 29, 2007.

1. dwahab macrumors newbie

I need help. I was fortunate enough to get a iPhone for christmas. Unfortunately I am a Verizon Wireless customer with a Blackberry 8800. Should I break my contract and activate my iPhone or exchange it for a iPod Touch 16G?

many thanks and happy new year.

2. McGiord, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It seems that you are OK to carry 2 devices? I personally don't like that.

If you want to cancel your Verizon contract do a search on this forum to get fair ways to cancel your contract without paying extra.

My suggestion to you is: keep the iPhone, it cost you nothing but a thank you.

Soon your iPhone could have official 3rd party apps + many other cool things.

Check here for current customizations that can be done:
    www.hacktheiphone.com

Healthy, Happy and Prosper 2008!
    ________
    buy marijuana seeds

3. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I can give you advice as someone who has had both. I started out with a 16GB Touch and an LG EnV (Verizon). I originally didn't go with the iPhone because AT&T's coverage for our area was worse than pathetic. Suddenly, about 15 days ago, AT&T swallowed up the dominant GSM carrier in the region and there was suddenly full coverage.

I immediately got the iPhone, sold my jailbroken Touch on ebay (for a nice profit) and did a jailbreak on the iPhone within hours of buying it. As someone who faced your dilemma I can honestly say I am much happier with the iPhone. Sure, I took the cancellation hit from Verizon but the benefits far outweighed the liabilities.

With the Touch I quickly discovered that I was using the post-jailbreak apps much more than I ever thought I would. I ran into the issue of having long periods where I wasn't around any wi-fi to use it and having to fall back on the clunky browser of my LG. It was very frustrating.

As soon as I did the iPhone swap I was really enjoying the seamless nature of having data services available to me all the time. Yes, EDGE is much slower but, unless you were paying through the nose for EVDO, the speed is very similar to the Verizon 1x network. That's fine with me since I hacked my LG to run off the Verizon 1x for free and not pay all the extra service fees that they stick to you for everything under the sun (email, browser, ringtones, etc.)

Yes, the cancellation fee is high but the benefits of the cost of the AT&T plan far outweigh the cost of similar services through Verizon.

My only negative has been the worry I've had all along about having a merged device. Using the iPhone heavily does take its toll on the battery. I always worry about getting the battery down too low and end up needing it as a phone with a nearly dead battery.

Also, keep in mind that there's an issue with devices such as the Griffin iTrip Auto. Those devices will charge and play the iPod through the car radio off the sync connector. They work just fine with the Touch but not with the iPhone. I was bummed when I discovered that. The Apple Store doesn't presently list any devices at all in this category. I hope this gets taken care of soon.

4. dwahab thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch...

I know this is a stupid question so forgive my ignorance but what does it mean; "jailbreak iPhone"?

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

The "jailbreak" is a process that has been around as long as the iPhone itself. There are lots of threads about it here. Apple announced 3rd Party Applications coming to the iPhone a little while back. Those of us who have performed the jailbreak on an iPhone have had them since it was released. Jailbreaking opens up the iPhone (or the Touch) for all kinds of things to be installed on it and be done with it. An iPhone without a jailbreak is just plain boring. ;)

Seriously, jailbreaking opens up the phone to all kinds of useful, fun and interesting things and, guess what? They're free. The development community for the iPhone and Touch create applications to share with everyone.

6. zedsdead macrumors 68040

keep the iPhone...much better to not have to deal with the two devices, especially since the Phone features are so integrated into the other parts of the device.

7. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I'm going through the same dilemma. I bought an iPhone a last week and like it very much! My dad bought me an iPod Touch for the holidays. I think it is a bit too extravagant to keep both, but I just don't know which one to keep!