iPhone vs iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jondunford, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

I am going to purchase an iPod Touch at least, but I am wondering whether to kill two birds with one stone and get an iPhone instead.

This is my current phone and it works perfectly fine.

Are there any downsides to owning an iPhone over an iPod Touch? Is the battery life worse?

phone.jpg

2. Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

I recently got an iPhone, to do just as you say, kill to birds with one stone. Before that I was using an iPod touch and a Samsung galaxy S4. In the end I didn't see the point of carrying both devices around as I was only using the galaxy phone to make calls and the iPod touch for everything else.

The main advantages of having an iPhone over an iPod touch:

Only need to carry one device around
    Always connected to the internet
    Useful for navigation as it has GPS
    Better camera

The specs are also better on my iPhone (A7 vs A5) but I find the A5 on my iPod touch to be fast enough and very capable.

The battery life on the iPhone is better than the touch, however you have to take into account that you need the iPhone to function as your phone as well. I was already paying for an expensive calling contract for my galaxy S4 so I'm not paying anymore for the iPhone.

It looks like you have an older feature phone, which I imagine comes with a cheaper monthly calling contract. If you move to an iPhone you will most likely find yourself paying quite a bit more every month.

3. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

thanks for those points, i did not know the iPhone actually had better battery life

that's the one thing that being in the UK is good for, we may get charged over 50% more for apple hardware for the privilege of living in europe, but over here we can buy an iPhone outright and have a "$0" contract and only pay for what we use (in my case it's less than $1 a month, lol) :D

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

I live in the UK too:) I wouldn't have thought pay as you go would be cost effective on a phone like the iPhone, unless you don't intend to use the internet much whilst you are out and about.

Data charges are expensive. However it sounds like pay as you go will work out well for you as your monthly spends are low. I use a lot of data, so that's why I prefer to get a contract as it's cheaper than pay as you go.

I didn't buy my iPhone outright but ended up paying £530 to get my iPhone 5S (buying out my existing contract and paying the subsidy). Of course £530 would have bought me the 16 GB out right but I wanted the 64GB version and the thought of paying £709 for a phone didn't sit well with me.

5. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

I have a touch, and use it while traveling. I turn my iPhone off to save the battery and use my Touch, then when I get to where I'm going, I turn off the Touch, and have a fully charged iPhone to use where ever I land. The Touch lasts long enough, usually, for a transcon flight and connections.

6. 617aircav Suspended

Battery life of an iphone is not an issue. Plenty of portable battery packs out there

7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I have an iPod touch 4th gen and I find the battery life to be rather poor in comparison to my iPhones. The 5th gen may be better, and it may be anecdotal simply based on use (my son uses it to play games, and it's typically dead in 3-4 hours).

8. Andy-UK macrumors member

I think it comes down to cost and usage. I rarely use my mobile phone apart from the occasional text message and 'I'm running late' phone call so an expensive monthly contract and a £500 phone doesn't make any sense for me, I'd rather have a cheap phone with a PAYG top-up and an iPod Touch to connect via a wi-fi hotspot. I could have done with a proper smartphone once or twice when the sat-nav would have come in useful but apart from that the cheap phone+iPod gives me everything I need and I'm not worried about dropping or losing them.

9. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Now that you mention it, my 5th gen's battery dies if I don't use it for a while. I found that out when getting ready for a trip. I grabbed it and tried to turn it on to check if an app was on it, and it was dead. I barely had time to get it charged up before leaving. I found it surprising that it would do that. It was 'powered off' at the time too... Since I use it primarily for travel, it does sit around, ignored, but as I said, I do use it a lot for travel.

Anyone else with a 5g have issues with the battery dying like that?

----------

I just read on Apple's tech specs for the 5S that it uses 'assisted GPS'. Isn't that the way they do GPS without the hardware on the wifi only iPads? If so, I'm surprised as I thought that the iPhone had the 'guts' to do real GPS...

And the guy that started this thread has been banned. OK... His profile is rather disturbed. Whatever...

10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

aGPS uses cell networks to get a coarse location before using satellites to get precise data. It's used to get a faster lock. Almost all cellphones work this way.

11. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Gotcha...;) They also use GLONASS, which is the Russian positioning system to get better and faster locations.