Iphone vs Ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ucsdmac, Jun 12, 2008.

1. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

I was wondering if anyone can help me with making a list of the differences between the Iphone (3G) and the Ipod touch? or direct me to where I can find that info (ie. comparison chart?) I'm in the midst of deciding which direction I should go for. Thank you so much for all your help.:)

2. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

Ones an iPod
    Ones a phone. :rolleyes:
    U use one for calls
    U use one to listen to music
    One has a camera
    One doesn't

Kinda self explanatory =p

3. ucsdmac thread starter macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

Cool. Thank you. Thats a great start. Now that we got that out of the way, can we get into deeper details such as apps, sdk, features,etc...

PS: so I went to the old threads and found this link that describes pretty much the differences, so my question now is will the ipod touch have all the new features that the 3g iphone has: all the apps from sdk, able to use with mobile me, etc...

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you can do that on both *cough* lol

to the OP: cant believe you started such a post its quite obvious what the difference is as already pointed out.

ones a bloody phone and ipod combined the other is just an iPod with extended features

5. ucsdmac thread starter macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

Im not that dense.. I do know one is a phone (hence iPhone) and one is an ipod (hence ipod touch). If you read my previous post, what i really want to know is what the differences when it comes to sdk apps (will the ipod touch get the same treatment as the iphone when it comes to this), mobile me (can the ipod touch be use with mobile me?) and anything else that is unique.

6. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

So yes...mobileme will work with both!

So it seems that they'll both be treated the same!

Of course the iPhone is able to utilise GPS which the iPod Touch cannot. So of course there will be applications that you cannot use!

Oh...and if you own an iPod Touch you have to pay for the 2.0 software, whereas iPhone users can get it for free. But....before all hell breaks loose in this thread....that's a topic that's already been discussed so let's not drag it up here again!!!

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You need a phone, you get an iPhone. You don't need a phone, you get an iPod touch. Simple as that.

8. Grasbak macrumors 6502

presumably the touch will be able to use the location based stuff - just that it only uses the WIFI to locate which will be pretty inaccurate. However, if it can pin you down to a area of a city, that could still be pretty useful to flag up places to eat for example....... or can provide you with local news content cos it knows what region you are in......

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Go to apples website for more info. As most have said the touch is the iphone witout a phone and camera. As per the 3g version people cant really tell you because they dont have it.

10. Chiggs macrumors member

I believe that the main differences between the two are that the iPod Touch does not have the phone feature (obviously !!!), the camera, the GPS, the Bluetooth, or the External Speakers.

I'm not sure if it has the same sensors that the iPhone has but don't think so. To me, this implies that many of the games that will come out for the iPhone that make use of the sensors will not work on the iPod Touch.

I'm actually considering picking up an iPod touch. I'm just waiting until they release all of the details on the iPhone in Canada re: contract length. I sold my 1st Gen unlocked iPhone the day before the keynote for $400 and was planning on buying the iPhone legally in Canada but if the minimum contract length is 3 years as is the rumor, I'll likely pass and pick up an iPod Touch. (I have a BB for work which I have to keep anyway so don't really need the second voice line.)

I'd like to have the GPS but none of the other features really matter to me and I have a 32 Gig option with the iPod Touch...

11. tonie macrumors 6502

can you check and send email if you are on wifi?

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I dont believe this question.

13. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Yes, but sometimes no. If you use one ISP say Tiscali for your mail and then you are at somebody's house that has BT, you will be able to receive email but not send. Ways round this may involve signing up for a googlemail account or such like, but problems can still persist - a known problem because ISPs shutdown on spammers in this way. Often the only solution is Webmail (or IMAP if you're lucky) not POP3.

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, the touch comes with Mail.

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yes as long as you are connected to a wifi connection you can do anything relating to internet

16. TimJim macrumors 6502a

They have the same features except the iPhone has a phone, text messaging, soon to be GPS, and a camera.

17. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Ok, Ucsdmac, here it is what you need to know in a nut-shell:

The iPod touch does not have the ability to:

- Phone people
    - Text people
    - Access Visual Voicemail
    - Access the internet using the EDGE service
    - Access the internet using the 3G service
    - Take a photo
    - Browse Music & Video under a single menu
    - Use GPS technology to map
    - Use Bluetooth technology

An iPod touch with the Janurary Software upgrade installed
    is able:

- To play Music
    - To play Video encoded in MPEG-4
    - To be used to view Photos
    - To surf the internet using WIFI (Safari.app)
    - To send e-mails using Mail.app
    - To view mapping using Maps.app
    - To view Stock information using Stocks.app
    - To be used to take notes using Notes.app
    - To be used to view weather using Weather.app
    - To be used to view YouTube through youtube.app
    - To store contacts with Contacts.app
    - To be used to view the time using clock.app
    - To be used as a calculator
    - To be used as a calendar

An iPod touch without the Janurary Software upgrade installed
    is able:

- To play Music
    - To play Video encoded in MPEG-4
    - To be used to view Photos
    - To surf the internet using WIFI (Safari.app)
    - To be used to view YouTube through youtube.app
    - To store contacts with Contacts.app
    - To be used to view the time using clock.app
    - To be used as a calculator
    - To be used as a calendar

The Software update in early July (v2.0) will bring a whole new wave of
    long-wanted features for both business and corporate users, including:

- Push Email
    - Push Calendar
    - Push Contacts
    - Global Address Lists
    - Cisco VPN Support
    - Certificates and Identities
    - WPA2/ 802.1x
    - Security Policies
    - Device Configuration
    - Remote Wipe
    - Microsoft Exchange Support
    Built into the native mail, calendar and contact apps, with on/off toggles
    for each of them under the Exchange server tab.

Availability: Early July 08 (v2.0 iPod touch $9.95/iPhone)

Some up-coming features of Software v2.0 which were announced at Apple's
    WWDC conference on the 9th June, include:

- Saving of Images from Mail.app and Safari.app
    - Bulk delete and move in Mail.app
    - Exponential language support with character recognition
    - Scientific calculator mode
    - Contacts search
    - MobileMe® Support
    Apple's new .Mac

Availability: Early July 08 (v2.0 iPod touch $9.95/iPhone)

Mobile Me® - The $99 Annual subscription .Mac replacement
    A new service for your iPhone, iPod touch, Mac, and PC.
    The simple way to keep everything up to date.

www.apple.com/mobileme

Availability: Pre-Order Now! / Early July (iPod touch/iPhone)

Push Notification Service (Developers)
    This service will maintain a persistent IP connection to the iPhone or iPod and let a 3rd party server ping Apple's notification service in order to push out notifications your device, which can be in the form of badges, sounds or custom textual alerts. According to Apple, the service will preserve battery life and maintain performance, not to mention work over WiFi or cellular. Look for it to roll out in September, with seeding to developers starting next month.

Availability: September 08 (Developers-Only)

The App Store.
    iPod touch applications will be unlike anything you’ve ever seen on a mobile device. The world’s best developers are creating applications to leverage the groundbreaking technology in iPod touch, such as the Multi-Touch interface, the accelerometer, real-time 3D graphics and 3D positional audio. It’s all part of the iPhone 2.0 Software Update for iPod touch — coming soon.*

Browse and buy at the App Store.
    Downloading applications to iPod touch is easy. Just tap the App Store icon, browse whatever categories you’re interested in, then download your purchases wirelessly. Some are even free. Once you own an application, the App Store automatically notifies you when there’s an update. You can even shop the App Store on your computer, then sync applications to your iPod touch using iTunes.

More Information:

The Application Store (App Store)

The July iPhone / iPod touch v2.0 Software update

Software v2.0 will be available for iPhone, and also iPod touch for a charge of just $9.95 in early July.
    You will be able to install it through iTunes. (Rumored date of release is July 11th).

Hope this was helpful to you.
    :cool:

R-Fly

18. ucsdmac thread starter macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

You, sir, are my hero. Thank you to everyone else who also helped. :D

19. Resist macrumors 68030

Touch - up to 32GB memory

iPhone - up to 16GB memory

20. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Damn you, I knew I'd missed something off my essay post. :p

R-Fly

21. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

Sorry but it's not as simple as that. AT&T coverage where I live sucks, so an iphone for me is out of the question. This is why I would like the touch to have as many features as the iphone as possible.

22. badboomer73 macrumors newbie

Great Question

Thanks Razorianfly.

I've been hell bent on buying the new iPhone but I live in Canada and the data plans here are most likely going to gouge the users. We'll see July 11.

I've been looking for a one page detailed comparison of the iPhone VS. iTouch and you posted it. Most of it I had figured out but it was nice seeing it all laided out. My decision is pretty much made, now. Good-bye iPhone, Hello iTouch.

Now I just have to decide if I buy now or wait for the next generation... (that's not a question BTW)

23. abeery macrumors newbie

iPod Touch vs iPhone VPN Issues

All... I have both the Touch and classic iPhone both running v2.0 OS... I can use VPN on the iPhone using both EDGE and Wireless but using the exact same profile on the iPod I am unable to connect via VPN... I suspect there may be a few idiopathic errors lurking in the implementations of the OS between these two devices... a shame because I like the size and feel of the iPod better than the thicker iPhone... if anyone has a suggestion for getting the iPod VPN to work fire me off an email... thx

24. tekgeeek macrumors newbie

iPhone vs iPod Touch

I was doing a little research on this topic myself. I'm pretty sure there are others who are wondering this question too. I'm leaning more towards the iPhone but that's just b/c I need a reason to have it with me or it will end up just another neglected toy.

This article helped me out alot! Best of luck! =)
    iPhone vs iPod Touch

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Here in Japan, they've complicated the issue a little with this type of offering.

Basically it is a mobile WiFi spot. It is comprised of two parts of which both are battery operated. One is the 3G receiver. The other is a WiFi access point. The two are connected via USB and can operate on batteries for 2-3 hours.

With one of these, you can set up a WiFi spot just about anywhere in Japan. And then individuals can access the open WiFi spot which communicates through the 3G connection to the Internet. Sweet.

Of course you can plug in the WiFi hub if you want via a power adapter. That way you would have 24/7 access.

Things like this are great for those who have small meetings on the go.