iphone vs lg renoir

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NatPro, Dec 6, 2008.

1. NatPro macrumors member

NatPro

im currently out of contract with my phone company and looking for a new phone.

was looking at an iphone, all is good except it only has 2 megapixel camera... which sucks. also heard somewhere that it does not support multimedia msging (not sure if thats true).

the renoir seems to have the edge on the iphone for me atm because of the picture taking abilities, with an 8 megapixel camera on i could take better quality pictures.

if there was a new version of the iphone coming out any time soon with a better camera in it, id say that i would definitely get it, but atm, the renoir looks better...

any advice??

ps. born and raised mac user

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

If those are the features that are most important to you, I would certainly go for the Renoir. You are correct in that the iPhone does not have MMS, though that doesn't mean you can't send Multimedia in other ways (such as email). The iPhone has a lot going for it, so you just have to decide whether other features of the iPhone are worth the less-quality camera. For me, it wouldn't be an issue, because, on a phone, you're not going to see a HUGE difference between 2 and 8MP, so I've heard, due to the lenses or something, and plus, a camera would make more sense for me if I needed to take quality pictures.

So, my summary is: Take a look at all the features of the phones, try both of them out, and decide if those features outweigh everything else in terms of your preference. If that is the case, go for the renoir.

3. deadsouls macrumors regular

its not really the fact that the iphone only had 2mp that makes it bad. it just has absolutely NO options or flash so you're pretty much screwed in any semi-low light condition, especially if there are people moving around. if you need good pictures and mms, then the iphone is definitely not for you. there are jailbreak options to get mms capabilities but ehh.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

And be careful with the advice given to you on this forum. There are some people on here that believe only 2 types of phones exist; those that are failed "iPhone killers" and phone that, if nearly as good as the iPhone, are labelled as iPhone ripoffs.

Go with what features you really find necessary and essential to your experience. For me, I couldn't care less about the camera - if I wanted an excellent camera, I would buy a camera. But, you have to do what you find best and ignore the hype. Just be aware that the iPhone has no MMS, no video recording, no cut and paste, and although the internet exeriperience is excellent, it is not complete. You will go onto many sites that will be unable to display their pictures, videos, and other functions, due to the lack of Flash.

Aside from these shortcomings, the touch screen is by far the best out there, it is a very non-clunky UI, the app store is wonderful (but you have to sometimes search for that one killer app amongst piles of crap), and the email is very easy to use (unless you have hotmail). You will likely not be dissapointed with the iPhone, but be aware of its glaring limitations.

5. NatPro thread starter macrumors member

NatPro

do you think in future models it would be made with a better camera and mms? because it just sounds odd that a phone with such great capabilities is let down by those two areas.

from what ive seen, the iphone also looks fairly easy to use (well, isnt any mac?) and im not sure if the renoir is as user friendly

6. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Nowadays 2mp is good quality for smaller photos but bad for large pictures, they all have the same quality in their native resolution. The world has changed.

7. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

its a phone, not a camera... If you want to take pictures get a camera. they make camera's small enough nowadays to fit in your wallet almost lol so having one with you isnt a big deal. The iPhone is great, its a phone/web device and it does those well, go try one out and see how you like it!

8. NatPro thread starter macrumors member

NatPro

its all well and easy to say that u should go get a camera if u want good pictures.
    but, its not as convenient as having a decent camera built into ur phone... i currently have a nokia n71. takes decent photos with 1 5megapixel camera.

just dont want to downgrade on one of the features id use most.... but then again, i also love my macs...

9. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

the iphone takes great photos even at it's 2 megapixels, I don't know what they've done to it, but it works great for me and I am quite picky, (not one of the pickiest of course), in any case in a few months we ll be getting the next version of the iphone with a better camera too. But like the other mac friend above said if you want great shots get a camera.

10. deadsouls macrumors regular

apple didnt improve the camera whatsoever going from the original iphone to the 3g version. and i highly doubt theres going to be any new iphone in the next few months thats not just going to be increased hard drive space.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

But, they may have to - for the good of the app store. Brewing below the surface are hundreds of apps that may be able to take advantage of recognizing numbers from photos. However, the current camera is unable to natively capture macro shots. Prime example are apps that can take pictures of UPCs and from that, find the best price. In fact, an app like this (one of the most popular apps for Android - Shop Savvy) has been wasting away in the application process for months. The possibilities for apps like these are endless - taking pics of business cards and having them added right to your contacts, there's huge potential. I'll give up on Apple if they miss this boat.

12. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

yeah ok but the first thing you mention is not much of an argument, since they didn't improve it first time around that doesnt mean they wont improve it this time around, on the contrary it means it's no. priority to be improved since they didn't, but back then the competition was just starting to mass produce higher or much higher than 2 megapixel cameras, which is quite different right now where the market is starting to get flooded by more and more higher mp phones, apple won't want to look like fools and relics of the past with the camera on the iphone, it's a cutting edge phone and while the camera is not its focal point it can't lag to far behind, rest assured they ve already signed the deals to mass produce 3 or 5 or even higher mp cameras.

As for the time frame i too think in the coming months if anything we are just going to see some increased storage, although it's tricky since the space on the phone is really limited, what I was refering to was the new major overhaul of the iphone in the next 8-10 months say or a bit longer. the iphone 3g propre so to speak.

13. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Those two would be super sweet.!!!:D

14. NatPro thread starter macrumors member

NatPro

i have been reading through other topics about the camera, and ive come across posts saying that its not really the mp that count, its the size of the lens that gives the better quality picture... so i figure, bigger lens + more mp + flash = better quality photos = iphone then can be the one phone to rule them all....

i just think yeah, this phone is awesome, just all its competitors have the better quality camera, which would give them the edge, making many customers choosing them over the iphone.

but back to the topic.

iphone or renoir?

15. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

16. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Ill prefer anything american to a korean device

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Well, here's a news flash: they're both available right now for Android. :D

18. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

They go together with fugly phone too though don't they?:D

And anyway I don't want to make google any more of the giant that they already are, I really don't want to feed into another microsoft type monstrocity buying out everything and anything it. :cool: But that's just my opinion.

I would say go with iphone to the op, does lg have an app store that can hold a candle to iphones?

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That's pretty superficial if you ask me. Message to OP: just get something pretty. You know, something that goes well with your Italian loafers and matching cashmere sweater vest.

And btw, Apple currently has a net worth that is larger than Google and lately, Apple has been out-microsofting Microsoft. I really don't know why Microsoft gets knocked around much. True, they do make inferior products. But, in terms of corporate greed, Apple has been the leader over the last couple of years. In fact, all Bill Gates does recently is sit around and give away his money to schools and tuberculosis research. MS products are still crappy though.

20. The General macrumors 601

21. The General macrumors 601

ZXing, the barcode scanning library that ShopSavvy uses, has a barcode scanning client for iPhone. It doesn't work very well due to the iPhone's fixed focus and inability to scan in real time. You have to take a picture from like 2 feet away, zoom in and then it will scan the picture for the barcode. It lets you add contacts and search for products.

It doesn't usually pic up any barcodes, unfortunately. But it works really well if you have the Griffin Clarifi case, which I have, that has a sliding macro lens for the iPhone. No need to take the picture from afar and zoom in. Though due to the SDK limitations, it still can't scan in real time like on Android. There are only a couple things I miss from my G1:

1. Better camera with autofocus that can focus really close.
    2. Locale, which will automatically change your settings based on location or other stuff too.
    3. I can't remember what it's called, but that app that will send you the phone's GPS coordinates by text if you lost it. All you have to do is send it a text message like "locate 1234"

But overall, I am highly pleased with my decision to move back to the iPhone.

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

The company that produced Shop Savvy, Big in Japan, submitted this app to the app store many months ago. It has been sitting in the application process for months and all the developers have heard from Apple is silence. I think that's a pretty sad way to treat the developers who are trying to make the iPhone what it is today.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's interesting, since the iSights, aside from the original Firewire one, are also fixed focus, and yet they work quite well with Delicious Library. I haven't tried this app, but BeeTagg, the one for QR codes (a kind of 2D Barcode) works reasonably well.

Real focusing optics are really necessary for camera phones to improve significantly. I don't really understand the point in an 8MP camera that uses fixed optics.

24. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

What's wrong with choosing something aesthetically pleasing, and if it goes well with that cashmere sweater all the better.;) That doesn't make one a fashion victic or anything although not caring at all does make one a slob.

The net worth of apple is irrelevant, let's not forget apple is in the bussiness of producing tangible products too, in contrast to google, and by and large to microsoft too. Also google has been pacmaning the whole industry lately anything that comes up they buy it, I just don't like to see all this power amassed by someone. And as far as ms is concerned they have been literally pushing their very very bad products down our throats for so long, always in stubborn way, and never ever letting their obsessive ludicrous stronghold on strangling the consumer and innovation.

These are the guys where they supposedly have an open blog for say internet explorer developin team, and I 've personally been there and said, hey how about adding ctrl s functionality like any other program on earth, and saving in the background a webpage so you don't just sit and watch it save for a few seconds while you do nothing, I mean can you stomach this they are what no. 7 revision and they haven't implemented simple kids stuff, a little kid would notice these glaring errors, and they needlessly torture and waste the times of billions of people And you know what they said to, on count two, they said, well we migh think of doint it sometime (background save) and on count one, they said that ctrl s wouldnt make sense because it's by default to save to the original position, i.e. the webserver....can you friggin believe that answer, the've completely disabled a shortcut that is applicable everywhere and they have you labour for the mouse? These quys from top down are just plain slow, slow people full of hang ups, never able to see the big picture, endlessly problematic....so you please, please, I don't even want to hear about ms, no more, enough...:eek:

TO THE OP: Buddy, just get the iphone you won't regret it, its a beatiful device, it's so intuitive and it's evolved so well from the gen 1 product, give it some time and you ll learn all the little shortcuts to do things, plus you get all sort of wonderful free and paid apps, that will give you so much functionality, almost always for a a minimal or no fee at all. Plus you ll be entering a tremendous platform, and building on it. I too recently got my iphone, couple of months or so, and although the honeymoon is certainly over, the love is still there, I am just so happy with my purchase.