iPhone vs MacBook pro glare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsmith1, Oct 17, 2008.

1. bsmith1 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Can anyone with an iPhone and a new macbook pro compare the glare level. I am really concerned about it and it is the only thing holding me back from buying one. I have an iPhone and have no problem with the glare from it's glass screen. Thanks

2. Logos327 macrumors 6502

I too have had zero problems with iPhone glare, but as many have complained already, that will not be the case for the new MBP. My new MBP doesn't arrive until next week but when it does I can get back to you if the question hasn't been completely answered.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It's about the same, but you tend to notice it less on the MBP because the screen is brighter (usually).

4. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Yeah, he's right. I have the iPhone (love it) and reflection from the screen is never a problem.

But the glassy screen on the new mbp is like a mirror. It is much much more reflective than your average PC screen.

5. Bobeder9 macrumors member

Didnt like the glare on my iPhone so I got the anti-glare screen cover sold at the Apple Store. I guess that is why I have a Matte finish MBP.

6. goffski macrumors member

With the two side by side i would say the MBP has less glare than the iPhone, when both screens are lit up, this is probably due to the the brightness of the MBP as it's much brighter than the iPhone.

When both screens are black the MBP is much more glossy but it would say they have about the same amount of glare, my reflection on the MBP is clearer / sharper though. ( Not a pretty sight!! :eek: )

7. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

It would be interesting to see if anti-glare screens are made for the new glass displays, much like those for the iPhone.

I'm not really sure of the usability of them, however if they did significantly cut down glare without cutting image quality, they could be a must for some people.

8. 7even macrumors 6502a

I emailed Power Support about it and they say they have anti-glare film for the MBP in production, to be available in a month or so ;) I have their anti-glare screen protector on my iPod Touch and it's excellent.

9. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I've never applied one of these films to anything myself, and imagine it would be a painstaking process on a large glass screen to do it evenly, smoothly, no bubbles, and most of all, with no captured dust between film and glass. It's amazing how much dust floats in the air we breath without us even seeing it (turn off the lights, and turn on a flashlight... you'll see it then.) And I'd worry about the film aging and yellowing over time, and becoming brittle and next to impossible to remove if necessary.

These are just my fears and concerns on the subject of do-it-yourself non-glare film applications for the new MBP.

Anyone with experience doing a larger application for a display screen?

10. 7even macrumors 6502a

Good point. However, their iPod Touch film hasn't given me problems - no bubbles, no dust trapped in between. It's easy enough to apply, and relatively easy to remove later on. Doubt it would be too difficult on a larger surface.. just need to line it up well and do it quickly. The glare isn't bothering me, but I won't really know until I put the laptop through a few more environments.