iPhone vs. MacBook Pro (or any laptop, really)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brayhite, Jul 6, 2010.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

In consideration of switching to the iPhone and AT&T from Verizon, I heavily considered the data cap (that hopefully has been loopholed for me, but until for sure confirmation..) as a con to the switch. I ultimately decided it wasn't a big deal for because most of my time is spent at home, school/campus, and work. Two of those three have free wi-fi (home and school), while most data would be used at work.

However, I do have one question. Considering I'll have my laptop in both places (work and school), is there any real advantage to having the iPhone? In other words, what real reasons, aside from making a call or texting, does the iPhone hold over my MBP, Including any apps unique enough to the iPhone compared to just doing whatever the app allows on a laptop.

The only real one I can think of is MobiTV (if it works as promised), but even websites online offer services similar to.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Just get a pay as you go usb turbo-3G modem. Good speeds and cheap (in Europe at least don't know about the US coverage.)

4. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be ridiculously expensive here, I'm sure. Bandwidth is like a luxury, or at least that's what the American governing bodies would make us believe.

Anyway, I would be on wifi everywhere with my iPhone/laptop, I really wanna know the reasons why I would be more prone to pull my iPhone out instead of my laptop when I'm anywhere with wifi.

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Because you can take it out of your pocket and quick browse the web or check an app. It's a hell of a lot more convenient then a full-fleged laptop.

6. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Well it really depends. There are a TON of apps. Some of them extremely usefull, others not so much. I guess it will depend on how much you may use them. Me, I use my phone for everything. It's my main web viewing tool now, my main video and picture camera, my calculator that I use daily, I like knowing I'll never be lost, or not be able to find a place since I can just use my gps, etc. If I'm at best buy trying to price match I can pull out my phone and show them what the other store is selling the same thing for I can do that. Access to instant info without having to lug anything else that you wouldn't typically have with you is awesome!! When I bought my first iPhone, I thought to myself "I paid enough for it, that I'm gonna take full advantage" and I do. Ive integrated it for a lot of things now, and I'd hate to go back. My cousin on he over hand doesn't use his for anything but making calls and texting. Its really up to you how much it'll do for you, and if it's worth it.