iPhone vs. Motorola Motoroi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheKingIV, Feb 16, 2010.

1. TheKingIV macrumors member

Obviously, we don't know anything for sure about the next generation iPhone that will come out, but even the rumors don't seem to match up with the reports of the Motoroi. I love my iPhone 3G, but am planning on upgrading sometime this summer. I'm not an expert in smartphones, so I'd like to hear yall's thoughts on how they compare, on paper at least.

For the record, the Motoroi is said to come out in March on AT&T and has:

- 3.7 inch WVGA multi-touch display
    - Wi-Fi,
    - 8MP camera with 720p HD video recording,
    - GPS,
    - HDMI,
    - 3.5mm headset jack,
    - Google Maps,
    - 8GB of internal memory and MicroSD card support up to 32GB.
    - Runs on Android

The 8MP/ 720p camera is what is a big attraction to me. You'd literally have no need for another camera and/or a video camera. From my limited experience, Android is not nearly as good as the iPhone OS.

Haven't seen any rumors on HDMI for the next gen. iPhone, and the camera is said to be 5MP.

Thoughts?

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Any word on the processor?

Don't get caught up in megapixels, they are not that big of a deal anymore. Not to mention a 32gb micro SDs are around $100. I'll stick with my 3GS.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Pictures of it also look like its pretty thick. At least quite a bit thicker than all of the iPhones. IMO HD means nothing on a 3.7 inch screen. Also if it does use HDMI to either play it on a TV or upload it to a computer.. 720p is 6+ year old technology when it comes to HD. 1080p would be a better choice if you are already putting an HD camera in it.

4. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Sure, it would be better, but in comparison to at least the rumors on the iPhone, I think we can assume the video from there won't be 720p. Clearly it is old technology, but this is brand new technology for cell phones, right?

5. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Why are they not a big deal? On my 3G the pictures are definitely grainy. Are you saying the jump from 5MP to 8MP is not significant (not being sarcastic...I don't know too much about these things). I know the camera I had in the past was 8MP and the resolution was great.

6. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Here is an article from Time "The Myth of Megapixels"
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,994589,00.html

7. bozzykid macrumors 68020

That article has nothing to do with cameras in mobile phones. When dealing with mobile phones, it is all about the lens quality. Because there is no room to put a good lens, you don't generally get very good pictures. However, the 3G and 3GS are known to perform much worse than a lot of other phones when it comes to picture quality. So if a phone says it contains a 8MP camera, it is likely going to end up containing a better lens than the 3GS (especially if the phone is thicker) which is going to give you better picture quality. In fact, there are 3MP camera phones that outperform the 3GS in terms of still picture quality.

8. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure the processor for the Motoroi is 600mhz. I'm 75% sure of this. It's basically a Droid with no QWERTY keys and a better camera I believe.

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You obviously didn't read, so here are some pretty pictures for you.

http://homebiss.blogspot.com/2009/11/motorola-droid-vs-iphone-3gs_10.html

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-camera-test-vs-sprint-htc-hero-camera-test

MP means NOTHING! The 3GS with a better camera beats the Motorola Droid, that by your standards above with 5 MP and thicker, should have a better lens and take better pictures.

I can also tell you now without a doubt, my 3GS takes better pictures than any phone I've put my hands on. My 2G was just ok and I'd agree with your comment, to an extent, above if it was limited to 2G/3G models. However, the 3GS takes very good pictures for being a phone.

10. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Actually, I did read it. And I wasn't comparing the 3GS with the Droid. Although, lots of articles have compared the two and depending on the situation, the Droid does win in some of the reviews in certain situation (like low light). Btw, when you say MPs mean nothing is simply not true. It certainly factors into the overall picture quality. Is it the only factor? Of course not. In mobile phones, lens quality is by far, the biggest factor. But the amount of MP's the phone has is still a small factor whether you want to believe it or not.

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Again, you DIDN'T READ. Take the first link, it compares the iPhone 3GS to the Droid - it even has pretty pictures for those that can't read. I included the second link which does not compare the Droid and the 3GS, but does touch on the same issue with the Droid, that by YOUR standards should be superior. It's also from droidcenetral so you can't go crying it's an Apple fanboi stie.

Looks like you cannot even read your own post then...

Again I said by your standards, which you included in the above post - the Droid meets YOUR standards. PLEASE LEARN TO READ & COMPREHEND.

Please post some links that compare the Droid and 3GS and have the Droid winning - I've yet to see one! See, I included links to prove a point, you simply state your opinion without validity.

And, no, MPs mean NOTHING - yes I said it again. For camera to have good -> excellent picture quality in the 8MP+ range you have to step into the DLSR arena, not point-and-shoot cameras and certainly not camera phones.

You cannot get a good enough lens and sensor in a camera phone or a compact point-and-shoot camera to take good->excellent pictures in 8MP+. Yeah sure, they'll look fine on that 2.5" screen, as soon as you pull them up on a larger monitor/printout, you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you really want I'll find one of the Pro-photographers on this site to give you a more thorough class on the fundamentals of camera hardware and picture quality.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well looks can be deseving. The specs I found online put it at
    Depth 10.9 mm
    Height 116 mm
    Width 60.9 mm
    weight 140g

For comparison here are the iPhones specs on size

Depth 12.3 mm
    Height 115.5 mm
    Width 62.1 mm
    weight 135 grams

Sum it up it is for the most part is about the same size as the iPhone.

13. bozzykid macrumors 68020

No, the Droid by all accounts has the same quality lens that the iPhone 3GS has. It isn't surprising given the Droid doesn't have any more room than the iPhone when you consider most of the thickness is the keyboard. This is why the Droid's pictures are not much different than the 3GS considering both are using crappy lenses. It's a well known fact that both the 3GS and Droid use crappy lenses in their phones. To use a good quality lens at that size is not cheap. You should take a look at Nokia if you want to find some phones that use high quality lenses that take much better pictures.

14. matttye macrumors 601

720p video recording just means the video camera is capable of capturing video at that resolution, not that it will be of decent quality. Wait until you see what kind of lens it has before getting your hopes up about that.

If the next iPhone has a HD camera, I seriously hope Apple use their heads and put a flash on it. People take photos at night too!

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Hmm, I don't "want" to find a Nokie phone that has a "good" quality lense. Until you post a link, you offer no validity to your statement. Until you post a link, I assume you are incorrect. I'm not going to go looking at the thousands of countless phones out there to finally find one that takes better pictures.

In fact I never said the iPhone takes the best pictures. For the size of the iPhone and it's portability, it takes impressive shots. If I need to take crystal clear pictures, I "break out" my Canon Mark III.

16. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am not sure about that phone however the new phones from HTC with the Android 2.1 are really nice looking phones and I have high hopes for them if the new iPhone is not a Marvel in itself, but we will have to wait until June, also I need an HTC with Android OS for AT&T, I am not going back to Verizon ever again.