Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Hello
Basically I have watched pretty much every video available on youtube for both phones and still can't decide between iPhone 5 16GB or Nexus 4 16GB. Obviously Nexus 4 is cheaper on Google Play store but the thing is that they cost me exact same amount so it comes down to other factors such as screen size, quality, iOS vs jelly bean, etc.
LTE doesn't metter for me since where I live we don't have 4g. I love every bit of Nexus especially new Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Photo Sphere, Google Now and the larger display. On other hand, iPhone has better build quality, better camera, battery life, apps are optimised and overall better quality then those on Android. I kind of don't like that everyone has iPhone while Nexus is something new and unseen. I do have 2012 rMBP as my primary computer so I need my phone to be able to sync with my pc but I guess there is not a big of a difference.

My question to you is which one would you chose and most importantly why?

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
I would personally go for the iPhone I have the nexus too and keep on going back to the iPhone. The screen on the nexus is worse and its still laggy in places. Worst thing about the nexus is that the touch sensitivity is horrible. Syncing isnt bad but its easier on the iPhone. You can use android file transfer for mac or isyncr.

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I would personally go for the iPhone I have the nexus too and keep on going back to the iPhone. The screen on the nexus is worse and its still laggy in places. Worst thing about the nexus is that the touch sensitivity is horrible. Syncing isnt bad but its easier on the iPhone. You can use android file transfer for mac or isyncr.

And what are the main reasons for going back?
My sister and many friends have iPhone 5 and my flatmate is only one who I know with nexus, I have played around with it and find it quite snappy and fast. We tested Photo Sphere feature today and I have to say it's more then impressive. (btw do iPhone have anything like that as well?) My biggest fear is that Nexus 4 isn't build as good as iPhone and wont last me two years.

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
And what are the main reasons for going back?
My sister and many friends have iPhone 5 and my flatmate is only one who I know with nexus, I have played around with it and find it quite snappy and fast. We tested Photo Sphere feature today and I have to say it's more then impressive. (btw do iPhone have anything like that as well?) My biggest fear is that Nexus 4 isn't build as good as iPhone and wont last me two years.

It's got a glass back so it will probably break if you drop it. The camera is also miles better on the iPhone I never used photosphere much personally. & I'm not sure what keeps me coming back. I guess it's because I have a lot invested in iOS. It works really well and I found the touch sensitivity and general stutters some apps had when scrolling in android really annoying.

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
It's got a glass back so it will probably break if you drop it. The camera is also miles better on the iPhone I never used photosphere much personally. & I'm not sure what keeps me coming back. I guess it's because I have a lot invested in iOS. It works really well and I found the touch sensitivity and general stutters some apps had when scrolling in android really annoying.

My flatmate did drop it on concreate floor and the frond which is Gorilla Glass 2 did break but now it is repaired and all good. Do you know of any app that does the same thing as Photo sphere?
I have invested in iOS as well but no more then 40$ while I have never ever bought an app on Android.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Hello
Basically I have watched pretty much every video available on youtube for both phones and still can't decide between iPhone 5 16GB or Nexus 4 16GB. Obviously Nexus 4 is cheaper on Google Play store but the thing is that they cost me exact same amount so it comes down to other factors such as screen size, quality, iOS vs jelly bean, etc.
LTE doesn't metter for me since where I live we don't have 4g. I love every bit of Nexus especially new Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Photo Sphere, Google Now and the larger display. On other hand, iPhone has better build quality, better camera, battery life, apps are optimised and overall better quality then those on Android. I kind of don't like that everyone has iPhone while Nexus is something new and unseen. I do have 2012 rMBP as my primary computer so I need my phone to be able to sync with my pc but I guess there is not a big of a difference.

Have you ever had an android or iphone before? I think you will like both phones. It just comes down to which OS you like better. I like android better and own both phones. I like a lot of things about the iphone, and the hardware is better on the iphone. I still like the software more, and the hardware I can live with. Software is more important to me.

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
My flatmate did drop it on concreate floor and the frond which is Gorilla Glass 2 did break but now it is repaired and all good. Do you know of any app that does the same thing as Photo sphere?
I have invested in iOS as well but no more then 40$ while I have never ever bought an app on Android.

The back isn't gorilla glass 2 so it will break earlier. No app on iOS like photosphere.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
At half the price I would get the nexus 4. Let's talk about build quality the iPhone 5 has sunken home button, scratch gate and faulty power button.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
If they are both gonna cost you the same I would buy the iPhone 5, sell it BNIB and buy the Nexus 4 and be left with a decent amount of profit in my pocket from the transaction. I find my Nexus 4 superb (So is the iPhone 5 by the way)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If they are both gonna cost you the same I would buy the iPhone 5, sell it BNIB and buy the Nexus 4 and be left with a decent amount of profit from the transaction. I find my Nexus 4 superb (So is the iPhone 5 by the way)

Ha probably the best course of action!

They are both nice phones IMO - I own both and like each for different reasons. The N4 will require tinkering, but once tinkered with can do some cool things. Conversely the iP5 has some nice features that do "just work" like Photostream, iMessage and iCloud. The N4 has an inferior camera and battery life, both places the iPhone 5 excels IMO.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much time you want to put into the device and if you plan on reselling it down the road/keeping it for a long time. With the iPhone, you have brick-and-mortar Apple stores to take care of issues, while my experience with google's CS has been less than stellar.

But, the N4 is overall a more powerful device (CPU-wise) and allows for a vast amount of customization. The apps are pretty similar, some better on iOS - but overall nothing major.

I, personally like using both and prefer it such - however, if I were forced to give one up I would keep my iP5.

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Have you ever had an android or iphone before? I think you will like both phones. It just comes down to which OS you like better. I like android better and own both phones. I like a lot of things about the iphone, and the hardware is better on the iphone. I still like the software more, and the hardware I can live with. Software is more important to me.
I have had HTC Desire and iPhone 4. I would never buy non-vanilla Android and I have tested my flatmates Nexus for quite a bit and really like it while iPhone 5 seems a logical decision.

If they are both gonna cost you the same I would buy the iPhone 5, sell it BNIB and buy the Nexus 4 and be left with a decent amount of profit in my pocket from the transaction. I find my Nexus 4 superb (So is the iPhone 5 by the way)

I will buy Nexus on Play Store or iPhone 5 through my fathers company where it costs about the same amount as nexus 4. So I will not sell one to but another.

Ha probably the best course of action!

They are both nice phones IMO - I own both and like each for different reasons. The N4 will require tinkering, but once tinkered with can do some cool things. Conversely the iP5 has some nice features that do "just work" like Photostream, iMessage and iCloud. The N4 has an inferior camera and battery life, both places the iPhone 5 excels IMO.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much time you want to put into the device and if you plan on reselling it down the road/keeping it for a long time. With the iPhone, you have brick-and-mortar Apple stores to take care of issues, while my experience with google's CS has been less than stellar.

But, the N4 is overall a more powerful device (CPU-wise) and allows for a vast amount of customization. The apps are pretty similar, some better on iOS - but overall nothing major.

I, personally like using both and prefer it such - however, if I were forced to give one up I would keep my iP5.

Camera is really important for me since I take a lot of pictures and iPhone 5 has a lot better one then Nexus though I would miss Photo Sphere if I would chose iPhone 5.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I have had HTC Desire and iPhone 4. I would never buy non-vanilla Android and I have tested my flatmates Nexus for quite a bit and really like it while iPhone 5 seems a logical decision.

I will buy Nexus on Play Store or iPhone 5 through my fathers company where it costs about the same amount as nexus 4. So I will not sell one to but another.

Camera is really important for me since I take a lot of pictures and iPhone 5 has a lot better one then Nexus though I would miss Photo Sphere if I would chose iPhone 5.

When owning the iphone 4 did you like iOS? I really think it comes down to which OS you like better. I know you said you like taking pictures, but I would not buy a phone just because it has a better camera. While that is important if you get tired of the OS then your life will be hell for the next couple of years.

Again I like android better, so I like the nexus 4 better. I know that the camera is not great, and it does not have more than 16gb of memory. I just don't care. Vanilla android to me makes the nexus 4 all worth every penny and more.

I will never again agree with people that say the iphone 5 has better built quality. The phone is made out of very then aluminum and glass. How is that better than glass front and back? Both to me feel solidly built, but they both could have some major damage if dropped. Another thing people keep saying the back of the nexus 4 is not gorilla glass 2. I will say this again. It does not matter if it where. The only thing gorilla glass 2 helps out with is scratching the glass. That is it. If you drop it, it will break just like any other glass. It prevents anything bellow 7 on the hardness scale not to scratch it. That is all it does.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
in the same dilemma OP.

except I am on VZW and stuck with the Galaxy Nexus.. But, i owned the nexus prior to the iphone and always find myself missing vanilla android..

Not sure if I want to give up imessage/itunes bc its nice with my OSX computer .

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Do you know of any app that does the same thing as Photo sphere?

Just for panorama shots you can use the stock camera.app. For pictures in more than one direction there's Photosynth (ironically it's by Microsoft, I think) which is a free app. I have an iPhone 4 which didn't get the panorama feature, so I sometimes use that app for landscape shots. I've also played around with it and tried to take a picture of my room in our shared flat for example, but the app doesn't do it very well if u ask me. But it's also not that easy to take 360 degree shots because actually the lense's position is supposed to be the same for each single take, so that the app can then assemble the entire picture from the single pictures. But I think it wasn't very different on the nexus 4 (I used to have one but returned it because the touchscreen seemed to be defective/was unresponsive at times).

But apart from all that, I considered the photosphere feature to be a very gimmicky feature with very little real life use. Also, I could see the battery percentage dropping particularly as I used it on the n4. And battery life on iOS is second to none, just saying.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I love the Nexus 4 I love how both of the os are just vanilla without the bloated software. If the iPhone 5 and swipe to text an had something like photosphere I would use it as a main. The iPhone has a better camera and I use the camera alot for when I don't have my Mark II. But I'd rather have some of the features of android over the camera.

For photo purposes I just use an unlocked iPhone 4 for everything else I use the Nexus.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I've been using an iPhone 4S for a while that I've been pretty happy with, but picked up a Nexus 4 for development purposes. I started using the Nexus4 to play Ingress and have really liked some aspects of Android, but I keep finding little nagging issues that stop me from swapping sims.

- Stock android doesn't have AVRCP 1.3+ support. Basically, unless the phone OEM hacked it in you can't get track names on a stereo over Bluetooth. I thought I wouldn't mind this, but it's annoyed me a lot more than I thought it would.
- Stock Android doesn't have Bluetooth LE support. No syncing my Fitbit with a Nexus4 (only Samsung devices).
- Google Now can't send text messages via voice without interacting with the screen. You can fill the fields, but you still need to confirm on the touchscreen. This is my #1 use for Siri on my iPhone (mainly to tell my wife I'm running late, or that traffic is bad).
- I really like the physical mute switch (I can live with this, but it's an annoyance).

All of these things are pretty nitpicky, but losing them are enough of a big deal that I haven't switched from my iPhone yet. That said, there are some things about the Nexus4 I REALLY like (Swype keyboard, Qi charging, full Google Now support, great screen, etc). I'm hoping some of these get addressed at Google I/O, but right now iOS just fits my needs better.

----------

in the same dilemma OP.

except I am on VZW and stuck with the Galaxy Nexus.. But, i owned the nexus prior to the iphone and always find myself missing vanilla android..

Not sure if I want to give up imessage/itunes bc its nice with my OSX computer .

Google Music Manager actually makes integration with iTunes not too bad if you don't mind syncing through the cloud. I was pretty pleased with the way it picked all my songs out of iTunes made them available on the Nexus4.

iMessage I've actually been trying to migrate away from in favor of Facebook Messenger. Chat heads on Android are a lot more useful than I thought, and since Facebook Messenger can do SMS on Android it's got a level of transparency similar to iMessage/SMS. That said, I'm waiting to see how Google Babel does since they're supposed to come out with an iOS version as well. If it can do video chat as well I may have a replacement for Facetime with my wife.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Hello

I'd go with iPhone. I think it overall is a better built device, better external speakers, better camera.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
I've been using an iPhone 4S for a while that I've been pretty happy with, but picked up a Nexus 4 for development purposes. I started using the Nexus4 to play Ingress and have really liked some aspects of Android, but I keep finding little nagging issues that stop me from swapping sims.

- Stock android doesn't have AVRCP 1.3+ support. Basically, unless the phone OEM hacked it in you can't get track names on a stereo over Bluetooth. I thought I wouldn't mind this, but it's annoyed me a lot more than I thought it would.
- Stock Android doesn't have Bluetooth LE support. No syncing my Fitbit with a Nexus4 (only Samsung devices).
- Google Now can't send text messages via voice without interacting with the screen. You can fill the fields, but you still need to confirm on the touchscreen. This is my #1 use for Siri on my iPhone (mainly to tell my wife I'm running late, or that traffic is bad).
- I really like the physical mute switch (I can live with this, but it's an annoyance).

All of these things are pretty nitpicky, but losing them are enough of a big deal that I haven't switched from my iPhone yet. That said, there are some things about the Nexus4 I REALLY like (Swype keyboard, Qi charging, full Google Now support, great screen, etc). I'm hoping some of these get addressed at Google I/O, but right now iOS just fits my needs better.

----------

Google Music Manager actually makes integration with iTunes not too bad if you don't mind syncing through the cloud. I was pretty pleased with the way it picked all my songs out of iTunes made them available on the Nexus4.

iMessage I've actually been trying to migrate away from in favor of Facebook Messenger. Chat heads on Android are a lot more useful than I thought, and since Facebook Messenger can do SMS on Android it's got a level of transparency similar to iMessage/SMS. That said, I'm waiting to see how Google Babel does since they're supposed to come out with an iOS version as well. If it can do video chat as well I may have a replacement for Facetime with my wife.

Informative, thank you. Now I will dig a little deeper & maybe go back to a nexus.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Hello

I would recommend this:

First, consider the basics. First and foremost. Forget the specs. Forget the features posted everywhere. If the base isn't going to make you happy, nothing else will.

Do you like mostly one handed smartphone operation or two? Do you like bigger screen or can you live fine with a 4 inch screen? Do you have a mac and like the iphone and mac integration? Or are you a multi-platform person and do not lock yourself in? Do you like iTunes or hate it or are neutral? Do you take tons of pictures using a cellphone? Are most of your friends/family iphone users who use imessage and photostream or do they use a myriad of devices and use services such as google drive/skydrive/box/dropbox etc? Do you like tighter OS control or do you like a bit of flexibility?

At the very base, both phones will do at least 80-90% of tasks in an identical way. Both of them can use google services fine as google keeps its iOS apps in top shape. Both will do basics like music, communication, reading etc etc.

The iPhone will have LTE and better battery life and some exclusive games/apps, the nexus will have customization and apps like tasker (of which i finally became a big fan, i love automation lol).

Then make a decision yourself.

As for me, i like at least 4.5 inches of screen real estate. I like using flexible cloud services. I also like the Nexus 4s price. I found after years of owning iPhones that on average i take 5-10 pics a month on my phone so the camera isn't a deciding factor. I found that i like LTE though.

I was big on games /apps in the beginning but now i have probably 20-30 appstore apps on my iPhone and only 5-6 get daily or weekly use. I liked how on my nexus 4 (sold last month) i could easily plug it to my PC, transfer a folder of music and photos and be on my way as i am not a sync person. Itunes is sluggish on my 2010 laptop and i also don't like the hoops taken for a simple transfer of my non-itunes music to my device (apple wants $25 a year for that if i use icloud for non-itunes music). Photo album management on iOS is not the way i like as well.

Things i am indifferent to are removable batteries (never carried a spare), SD cards (never used one since i bought a 3GS in march 2010), build quality (metal/plastic is nice, but not a deal maker/breaker for me), OS (i am not loyal to iOS or android, i would even use BB10 as soon as blackberry drops a 4.5 inch second gen BB10 handset, love the gestures, not a fan of WP metro though).

That was the bottom line. The small things i liked on nexus were the notification shade. The ease of customization (i don't customize much, but all i need to do is slap nova launcher, mess with a couple settings, and install a theme and icon set, a couple of UCCW widgets and i am set), the ease with which it works with my PC, the bigger screen, and the holo UI.

The small things i have liked about the iPhone are custom notification and app permission controls, a cohesive (but needing a bit of an overhaul IMO) UI, solid battery life (although my iPhone 4 is still the champ, it worked for 11 hours straight on wifi sometimes during my college streaming sessions lol, that was after 18 months of wear and tear too, the iPhone 5 loses juice faster in my experience, but having an "adult" life now leaves little time to use it straight for hours), some good apps are exclusives, general app quality (a good quality holo app is better though in my eyes, but those are just starting to pop up in playstore) etc. The good camera is a bonus too, if the nexus 4 had a little better cam though i would be okay.

I am switching soon to a nexus 4 because:

a) i found that the new APTicket method has rendered moot any hope of re-jailbreaking/downgrading/re-restoring my iPhone to same iOS version so if my iPhone crashes, i lose my jailbreak for good, and i "need" that jailbreak as i despise iOS's tight controls.

b) Apple will probably introduce a 4.3-4.5 inch iPhone variant in 2015 or 2017 may be if they ever do.

c) I found that for my uses, a $350 nexus 4 gives me more bang for the buck than a $700 iPhone (i buy my phones unlocked as i sometimes travel overseas).

d) Blackberry has yet to release a Z10 successor.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Since it came out. It's worse than my iPhone htc one and htc 8x. Reviewers also pointed this out and a load on xda did.

Sounds like a manufacturing defect. Because the one I sold never had this issue. And the one ny brother recently bought doesnt have this either.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I am switching soon to a nexus 4 because:

a) i found that the new APTicket method has rendered moot any hope of re-jailbreaking/downgrading/re-restoring my iPhone to same iOS version so if my iPhone crashes, i lose my jailbreak for good, and i "need" that jailbreak as i despise iOS's tight controls.

b) Apple will probably introduce a 4.3-4.5 inch iPhone variant in 2015 or 2017 may be if they ever do.

c) I found that for my uses, a $350 nexus 4 gives me more bang for the buck than a $700 iPhone (i buy my phones unlocked as i sometimes travel overseas).

d) Blackberry has yet to release a Z10 successor.

I like your very in depth look at each OS. Like we have all said many times it comes down to which one You like better. Not what all the people say on Macrumors. Android fits me better, but that is not true for anyone but me. I will defend either one if people trash them. They are both really good for different people. Why does one have to be better than the other? I think the OP should look very closely at what he does most on his phone, and choose which phone meets those needs. Each one has its own cool features, but those mean nothing unless the phone can meet your needs. If he needs a good camera then the iphone is the phone for him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.