iPhone w/o AT&T contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by varlos101, Sep 1, 2010.

1. varlos101 macrumors newbie

So I have had an iPhone 3GS for about 7 months and it has been with AT&T's GoPhone service. I am wondering if I could walk into an AT&T store and have them switch me over to the iPhone plan without a contract since I already own the phone (there would be nothing to subsidize). What is the chance of them doing this for me?

2. pamon macrumors 6502

slim and none and slim left the building. iphone's can't be sold without contract in the US i don't think. not w/ AT&T at least

3. nobias macrumors regular

At the apple store they have sold me several iPhone 4s without a contact. Ymmv

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You can buy them without a contract in the U.S. from both AT&T and Apple.
    You can only buy them contract free from a retail store though, not online. All online purchases require you to sign up for a contract.
    They will still be locked to AT&T though.

5. dojoman macrumors 65816

You have no clue. You can buy iPhone 4 without signing a contract as long as you're on ATT.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You don't have to be on AT&T to buy one from the Apple store.
    ;)

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

8. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

Maybe I'm confused. The OP doesn't want to buy a phone - he indicates he already has one. They just want to go on to the iPhone plan through AT&T.

To answer your question, I have transfered to and from the iPhone plan without renewing my contract. But I already had one in force. I don't think the plan is available on a pay as you go basis, so you would probably have to sign a contract to get on the plan itself. But AT&T can answer that best for you.

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Correct. They will not sell you one unless you already have an AT&T account to use the phone on. If the account is not an iPhone account, it will be changed to one. Since the OP owns the phone he can just get on a no contract plan.

10. dojoman macrumors 65816

Let's see some proof of that...

11. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

I tried the same thing awhile back with my 3G and the rep at the AT&T retail store swore to me it wasn't possible to sign me up without a contract. He said my only option was to buy a crappy flip phone for free and sign a contract. Needless to say, I went to T-Mobile. YMMV

12. shelbymayer macrumors regular

I work at an AT&T store. It is possible to sign up for service without a contract but it's something sales reps don't get paid commission on and rarely do because of that fact. You have to go to an AT&T COR store NOT an authorized retailer. You will still have to have a credit check run on you, and judging by the results you might pull a security deposit between $150-$750 that you would have to pay right then in store to start service (it gets returned in 12 months as long as you pay your bill on time), you might also be charged for the sim card which is $24.99 but they may wave that fee if you bitch enough about it. Tell them you know its possible if they say it isn't, and if they keep saying it isn't ask to speak to a manager because they will most likely do it then! good luck!

13. wargamer6 macrumors member

eBay and Craigslist say you're wrong.

14. varlos101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the replies, but I think I might just get an iPhone 4 with a contract and sell my 3GS on eBay for like $400.

15. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Looks like Apple just changed their policy.
    Up until 2 weeks ago you could walk into any Apple store and buy one without getting AT&T service.
    Looks like this is a very recent policy change on Apple's web site.

AT&T's site still says you can buy them without a contract.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...ncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB111009&isSrch=Yes