Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirdanMR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
Title says it all. If anyone here want to share his experience I will appreciate it.

By the way, I'm currently on W10 (desktop-laptop) + W10 Mobile and I love it. MS has done a really good ecosystem. But I'm really tired of the "buy a bigger phone if you want a high-end phone" bs. I just want 4 or 4,5 max, with nice performance and camera and iPhone SE seems a nice candidate for that.

Thanks in advice.

AirdanMR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
I'm a win10 user (surface Pro 4). The app store is garbage, i have yet to find a single application in the Windows 10 store that i actually want. Even for free.

That's not what I was asking, buy still... thanks for coment.

APP lack in W10 is annoying!! (not really) you don't actually need any APPs for doing anything when you have a fully usable computer and fully usable web browser. Also I find MS Mail, Photos, Groove Music, Movies and TV far better designed and usable than OS X equivalents Mail, Photos, and iTunes... but thanks again.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
That's not what I was asking, buy still... thanks for coment.

APP lack in W10 is annoying!! (not really) you don't actually need any APPs for doing anything when you have a fully usable computer and fully usable web browser. Also I find MS Mail, Photos, Groove Music, Movies and TV far better designed and usable than OS X equivalents Mail, Photos, and iTunes... but thanks again.

My comment was in reference to the software ecosystem for Win10. It's basically non-existent for touch based applications you'd actually want to use.

Sure, you can run regular windows applications, but i can do that with Windows XP, 7, or 8.x....

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I think the 5se will be a great match for you. I am considering it as a second phone to my 6. And then the 7 Plus when it comes out. I use W10 Pro on my iMac through Parallels and have no issue with using it. Some apps are better in W10 than on the OS X side of things and vice versa. I don't think you would have any issues with the 5se.

Reactions: AirdanMR

AirdanMR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
My comment was in reference to the software ecosystem for Win10. It's basically non-existent for touch based applications you'd actually want to use.

Sure, you can run regular windows applications, but i can do that with Windows XP, 7, or 8.x....

You can't judge MS ecosistem with only one W10 device, just like I can't judge Apple ecosystem only for it's OS X desktop App Store. Enough trolling - free hating and worse offtopic please.

I have a Lumia 640 on win 10 that I got for $30 that I use every now and then. It's an amazing phone for its price point and Windows 10 is pretty nice.

640 is a very nice low-mid end smartphone! But it's still bigger and has less RAM and poor camera than my Lumia 1020. The only real option I see to upgrade and keep using W10 Phone it's the new Xiaomi MI 5 with the W10 ROM, but it's still a bit big for my taste, and it's going to cost about the same as the iPhone SE

I think the 5se will be a great match for you. I am considering it as a second phone to my 6. And then the 7 Plus when it comes out. I use W10 Pro on my iMac through Parallels and have no issue with using it. Some apps are better in W10 than on the OS X side of things and vice versa. I don't think you would have any issues with the 5se.

Thanks! What I'm really worried here is about syncing info, for example contacts if I made a new one on the iPhone it wont be on my W10 account, same if I take a picture it won't be on my PC, or notes, maybe mails won't comunicate well between W10 and iOS, I don't know if it would be worth it without a macbook.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Thanks! What I'm really worried here is about syncing info, for example contacts if I made a new one on the iPhone it wont be on my W10 account, same if I take a picture it won't be on my PC, or notes, maybe mails won't comunicate well between W10 and iOS, I don't know if it would be worth it without a macbook.
As long as you use iTunes it shouldn't be an issue. That an the iCloud. Either work well on the backups. Ideally the MacBook would be better because of the sync between IOS & OS X. But your PC will do the job just fine.

Reactions: AirdanMR

AirdanMR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
As long as you use iTunes it shouldn't be an issue. That an the iCloud. Either work well on the backups. Ideally the MacBook would be better because of the sync between IOS & OS X. But your PC will do the job just fine.

Thank you! that was really helpfull, didn't know that iCloud can sync all that things. If all the spec rumors are true and it finally is 2GB RAM it will be my next phone over the Xiaomi.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You can't judge MS ecosistem with only one W10 device, just like I can't judge Apple ecosystem only for it's OS X desktop App Store. Enough trolling - free hating and worse offtopic please.

Well actually you can, because Windows 10 apps are "universal apps" for any Win10 device; thus, the same App store is used by all Windows 10 devices. There is no seperate app store as there is with iOS and OS X - they're the same apps.

There's very little of worth in the Windows app store - why do you think Microsoft has spent big money on a porting platform for iOS applications to include with Visual studio? Because no one cares about developing for Metro. They missed the boat and are rushing to play catch up.

edit:
I'm willing to bet I spend more time dealing with Windows devices than 99.9% of this forum, it's my day job, and I'm half-way through developing our Windows 10 SOE for the company I work at.

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
10 years using Windows, multiple PCs, Surface, but 8/8.1 and finally 10 and its Store, interface, and hidden updates, did me in, went and replaced my 10 yr old Mac Pro and other devices for 6S+, Mini 4, and rMB

AirdanMR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
Well actually you can, because Windows 10 apps are "universal apps" for any Win10 device; thus, the same App store is used by all Windows 10 devices. There is no seperate app store as there is with iOS and OS X - they're the same apps.

There's very little of worth in the Windows app store - why do you think Microsoft has spent big money on a porting platform for iOS applications to include with Visual studio? Because no one cares about developing for Metro. They missed the boat and are rushing to play catch up.

edit:
I'm willing to bet I spend more time dealing with Windows devices than 99.9% of this forum, it's my day job, and I'm half-way through developing our Windows 10 SOE for the company I work at.

Sadly the universal APP is still a myth. W10 is full of W8.1 APPs so no... you can't judge, because you are missing a lot of APPs that are only available for the Mobile version. Also a ecosystem is based in more things than the amount of APPs you have in the store, there is cloud, data syncronization, comunication between desktop and mobile phone, continuum (now tell me that this isn't usefull), and again while people is obsesed with the amount... I'm more concerned about the quality of the APPs you use on normal day: notes, music, camera (lumia camera), photos, file manager (I'm looking at you iOS), etc... vs iOS Photos, iTunes and company...

That said I wish Apple one day could do the same with OS X and iOS.

@IowaLynn I think I will end doing the same, but bootcamping W10 on the rMBP, there software here I really need and it's not in OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.