Iphone - Wait or....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr.PS, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Should I get one now, or wait for the 3G version. Yes, I'm insecure and don't want to get a 2G version now only to see the 3G version pop up early April. I'm just looking for reassurance really. :)

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Then you need to wait six more days. You'll know and can feel all warm and fuzzy.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Only you can answer that question. If you want or need 3G then waiting until next week would be prudent. However, even if a new one is announced it is likely to be June before it's available in the US and December in Europe because of the approvals process. If a new one is announced then they may well drop the price of the current model to keep sales momentum so probably worth waiting if you can.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Forgot to mention that if you're so interested in 3G then you'd better make absolutely sure that it's available to you. There isn't much of the US that has it.

5. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I would wait just a few days until Macworld, but I don't think there is going to be any major announcements as far as a new version.

6. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I'm also waiting until after Macworld. I'm actually planning on picking mine up on Wednesday afternoon, the day after Macworld. I don't think that we'll see any new hardware for the iPhone at Macworld, and I don't think that Apple will show a "soon to be released in 6 months" iPhone 2 with 3G, etc, because that will most certainly put a 6 month STOP to people buying iPhones while waiting for the new ones...

But still, this close to Macworld, it's silly to buy something from Apple, we all know how Apple can suprise us.

Maybe they'll release a 16GB version and drop the 8GB price down a little bit? Time will tell.

7. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Normally I would say just buy the thing and start enjoying it!!! But being this close to Macworld, there would be no harm in waiting another week, just in case :)

8. iwood macrumors newbie

waiting for macworld myself plus my current sprint contract expires on jan 18th. don't really care about 3g since its not available where I live anyway. but just waiting to see what macworld will unveil.

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Absolutely.

10. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for Macworld as well. Hoping for a 16GB version announcement but not counting on it. Buying one Tuesday regradless.

11. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

Never hurts to wait a few days. But the current one does not disappoint!

12. Edwardz macrumors regular

Don't rule out Jobs announcing a 3G iPhone next week at MCSF. I can very well see him doing that. Other phone companies do an update to their phones every 6-8 months, and we are in that time period with the iPhone.
    Of what someone said earlier up in this thread, I totally agree that Jobs would not 'pre-announce' a 3G iPhone coming in June due to sales being dropped disgustingly for apple co. However, I can see him announcing one and shipping the day of or doing what he did for the iPod touch announcement, ready to be shipped a month or so afterwards.

That's just my thinking.

13. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for MacWorld 2008 for sure, no worries! It will suck if they do indeed announce a 3G iphone, because that will force me to wait, or not. I might just get a 2G and hand it down to a family member or something.

14. Aries326 macrumors 6502

My wife will be getting my 2G iPhone. :)

15. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

:)