iPhone wakes sleeping iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KasperH, Jun 24, 2011.

1. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

This happens for me every night.

I'm leaving my office, and put the iMac to sleep (alt+cmd+eject) then i realize my phone is docked because it's charging. I need to take my phone with me, but taking it out of the universal dock wakes up the iMac....WHY would it need to wake up because i take my phone? I't also wakes up when docking the phone, (auto starting iTunes is disabled)

Is there a way to disable this :apple: "feature"?

br Kasper

2. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

I believe that it s state changes on the USB port that does this. But it's a wild guess.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

This is an issue with OSX, and for me, it's rather annoying.

I have Windows 7 on a bootcamp partition and it's nice enough to stay asleep whenever you plug or unplug your iOS device.

I wonder if Lion will change this behavior. Perhaps someone with a DP can tell us if it's still the same.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

When my computer (Lion DP4) is put to sleep with my iPhone connected over USB, and the USB is disconnected, the sleep light turns off, but the screen remains off. The same is for plugging in the iPhone.

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Nice, well I guess that's better than waking everything up. The 27" iMac display can suck up quite a bit of energy, so I'm glad the display stays off at the very least, though I'd still wish the same as the OP (keeping the whole Mac asleep).

That's good to know though, thanks. :)

6. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

When you plug an iOS device into Win 7, and Win 7 snoozes on, does the iOS device receive a charge? Seemed to me that when plugged into a sleeping Snow Leopard, charging would not commence until he woke up, but would continue after he went back to sleep.

7. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Is OP's iPhone paired with the iMac through Bluetooth? When the iPhone leaves the dock, it may send out signals to devices paired with it. I had my Bluetooth headset paired with my Mac Pro. When I turned on my Bluetooth headset, it could wake up my Mac Pro from sleep.

8. Icaras, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Ha, you know, I don't think I can answer that question with absolute certainty, as I don't think I've really paid attention. I want to say yes, it does keep charging, but again, I don't remember.

I'm not at my Mac at the moment, but I'll try later tonight.

9. KasperH thread starter macrumors regular

KasperH

my iPhone is not paired with my iMac via bluetooth, only cable (dock) and since it can charge the phone wiile the iMac sleeps (when put to sleep while allready connected) i was hoping for a secret sleep setting to simply ignore wake on usb or something like that. I guess Apple didn't think of that :rolleyes: