iPhone warranty period in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by woolyback, Jul 3, 2009.

1. woolyback macrumors regular

Couldn't find anything specific on this via searching and the guy in the O2 shop asked me to let him know if I find out.....:rolleyes:

Does O2 (or even Apple) have to honour the EU-imposed 2 year warranty period for the iPhone ?

Just curious really as the guy was insistent that Appl only provide 12 months and was trying to flog me apple care but I'm only intending on taking out an 18 month contract then probably upgrading when that runs out, so a 2 year warranty would obviously cover me.

Any ideas (or links to similar threads that I couldn't find) ?

2. Jennbo macrumors newbie

No the EU directive does not apply.

You have a contract with o2 under the supply of goods and services act. Checkout consumer direct's website or call them for a full explaination.

3. Supersonic macrumors regular

Would you like to enlighten us as to why the EU laws dont cover the iPhone?

I've been well lectured to on this subject, so i'm keen to hear...

4. ronnyuk macrumors member

You are actually covered for up to 6 years on UK SOGA but the onus is on you the consumer to prove that the product was expensive enough and should not have broke in the way it did in the time you have owned in.

You can also quote the EU law, people have got away with it and had goods exchanged after 18months.

have a read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/may/23/tesco-consumer-guarantee

5. woolyback thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting, thanks for that. Just need to find somewhere in the SW England with phones in stock now :rolleyes:

6. Jennbo macrumors newbie

The EU issued a directive that people in member states were given the right to go back to the trader they bought the goods from for up to two years

UK law is better than this EU directive, elements of the directive were incorporated into existing UK law.

You can try to quote the directive but it was only a directive not actually law! It is contract law and the law that applies is the one mentioned in my previous post.

It does not apply to the iPhone or anything else.

7. Stiss macrumors 6502a

I work on a service desk (after sales) for a well known UK department store and i see this stuff day in day out.

The retailer has to show a due of care. They have to put you back in the situation you were before it went wrong, that does not mean your money back or a brand spanking new pair shoes you've had for 5 years which have now got a hole in. Sadly it doesn't work for everything.

Out of warranty period the consumer has to prove that the fault was there to begin with, which is very difficult to do.

I may be wrong but the 6 year thing is only to do with taking a matter to court, not meaning you can have it repaird 5 years 11 months down the line.

SoGA states the unit has to be:

1. fit for its purpose.
    2. last a resonable amount of time.
    3. be of the description the retailer sold it as.

I could tell you all so many funny stories...