iPhone warranty question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boomhower, Jan 26, 2014.

1. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I bought my iPhone 5 in October of 2012. My power button has went on the fritz so for giggles I checked the warranty and it's valid though 2/14. Certainly a pleasant surprise but I thought it was only a year? Anyways I'm a happy camper I got a refurb on the way to get me through until the 6 is released.

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You bought apple care. Thats two years from date of purchase

3. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

I couldn't remember if I did or not, but if I did it should be valid through 10/14 not 2/14. I'm pretty sure I didn't but let me see if I can find my purchase history.

edit
    Nope, didn't buy Applecare+. Only used it once before I used a credit card to extend the OEM warranty for a second year.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The standard warranty is only a year. Apple probably made a mistake and started the warrant late?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Apple made no mistake you got extra due to the holiday period exception

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Nope - you don't get extra warranty because of holidays!

Sometimes they make mistakes. If there was a system error/the warranty didn't register when you first bought/activate it, the warranty will start on the next software update/activation. So my guess is the activation didn't go through properly, and you reinstalled iOS/did an update a few months later which triggered a reactivation, and thus the warranty to start.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Correct. Extended returns, perhaps extended time to get extended warranty. But that's it

You can run into such things if you get a swap as well. All service parts get a 60-90 day warranty of their own regardless of the original period.

8. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

I was just curious, thanks guys. At any rate feels like a belated Christmas gift.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Bought and received my iPhone 5 right during the Christmas period in 2012 and yet my 1-year warranty shows up as already being expired.