Iphone warranty question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bensweet108, Oct 10, 2014.

1. bensweet108 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Can I buy the iPhone at ANY legitimate shop and have one year apple warranty and the option to add applecare to it before the first year is over and have international warranty?

Or do you HAVE to buy it in an official apple store for that?

It makes sense that you could just buy it anywhere and have official apple warranty on it am I correct?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Yes. Brand new iPhones purchased at retailers will come with the one-year AppleCare warranty. And even iPhones not purchased at Apple Stores can have the two-year AppleCare+ warranty added, as long as it's within 60 days of purchase.

3. bensweet108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That's good to know!

You mean to say that within 60 days of purchase you have to add applecare? I thought you could do it even the day before the first year of warranty expires?

4. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Yes, AppleCare+, which adds coverage for two incidents of accidental damage (at a cost of $79 each time), must be added within the first 60 days of purchase.

5. bensweet108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I didn't know it changed to "plus"

The regular applecare that adds 2 more years to the warranty does not exist anymore?

"plus" sounds like a good deal to me

PS: the applecare for a macbook air is still 2 years extra right? and that can be bought anytime during the first year?

6. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Yes, I believe the old extended warranty is no longer available for the iPhone.

And yes, AppleCare for all Macs extends your warranty by two years, to a total of three; and can be added anytime within the original one-year warranty period.

7. bensweet108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your kind and prompt replies!

Many thanks,
    Ben