iphone warranty question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ixplora, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ixplora macrumors newbie

ixplora

Just to know if the iphone warranty covers replacement/repair by Apple if a third party has tried to repair it?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Attempts to repair an iPhone by a repairer that is not approved by Apple automatically invalidates the warranty.

3. ixplora thread starter macrumors newbie

ixplora

Right ok but what if you have purchased AppleCare Protection Plan?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

John T's reply is correct.

Regardless of if you have AppleCare coverage, any hardware work done by someone that is *not* Apple Certified is *not* covered by warranty.

If the third party that tried to repair your iPhone was Apple Certified, you should be good.

5. ixplora thread starter macrumors newbie

ixplora

It wasn't Apple Certified that is the problem, so i guess this means that the Apple care i have is now null and void and Apple will no longer do any more repairs on the iphone?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If third party didn't damage the iPhone then typically Apple care can still be applied.

If damages are from the result of third party then Apple does not cover it.

7. jdylan macrumors regular

jdylan

I can't even BUY AppleCare

I bought my iPhone 3GS in Hong Kong, and now I'm back in the states, and they're telling me "I'm not allowed to purchase" an AppleCare package for my phone. WTF? Anybody ever heard of this, or did the Apple Store clerk not know what he's talking about?

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I don't think AppleCare bought in the states covers a Hong Kong purchased phone. I think you have to purchase AC in the country you bought the phone in.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The clerk knows what he's talking about, you dont.
    Applecare only covers and repairs products that was purchased within the original purchase country.
    So you will have to buy Applecare in Hong kong and only get it serviced there. Applecare is not an international warranty.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

AppleCare for Macs, displays, iPods, and AppleTVs is international, although the AppleCare still has to be purchased in the same country that the product was.

As others have pointed out, hardware service for iPhones is generally required to be done in the country the iPhone came from. My guess this is because of the ~90 different countries the iPhone is sold in, most are SIM-locked to specific carriers, and the stores would have to stock replacements from each country in order to be able to offer international service. :confused: