iPhone Warranty Repair with Beta

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by janitorC7, Jul 1, 2013.

1. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

Okay, so i have had a malfunctioning power button for a few months now and have not had time to take it in.

I'm a valid developer (nothing commercial but things in house for a firm) so thats not the issue. However, I have head that Apple wont do repairs on phones with beta software even if its a clear hardware issue. Does anybody have experience with this before I run to a store? I cant find anything about it in developer agreements or anything like that.

Thanks,

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

iOS 7 isn't officially supported yet so they may turn you away, whether you are a paid registered dev or not. It would be best to downgrade to iOS 6 just to be safe.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Front page story

Apple Retail Closely Monitoring Employee Usage of iOS 7, Forbids In-Store Demos for Customers
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/01...f-ios-7-forbids-in-store-demos-for-customers/

The Genius will more likely blame the malfunctioning power button on beta software, just go back to iOS 6 and you won't have any problems at Apple.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I agree with mad. Downgrade to iOS 6, before taking it to Genius. That way you won't have to worry about wasting your time over iOS 7 being installed.

5. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

I agree with everyone else - even though it's more likely a hardware issue, just make it easier for the genius and downgrade first. I think that their diagnostics software in the stores doesn't yet work with ios 7, so that's why they don't want to cater to ios 7. If/when you get your phone replaced you can just get the beta again.

6. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

Yeah looks like what I'll end up doing. I know its a hardware issue (existed before ios 7 and I had already restored it) so I was hoping somebody would have had success so I didn't have to go through the hassle of downgrading. I guess it really should not be that bad since I'm not waiting to reload everything come to think of it.

Thanks for your input guys!

7. zhandri, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

zhandri macrumors 6502

i just got my iphone 5 replaced because of a noise cancelling mic problem. the apple care guy on the phone could tell from the IMEI number my phone was running iOS 7 and he told me that it doesn't matter with what OS i send it back with. i downgraded to 6.1.4 just to be safe tho

8. Jab00 macrumors regular

About 3 weeks ago (sometime during beta 1) I had to send my phone back due to a faulty charging receptor. First time I called I got the all clear but decided to wait and ponder my options of getting a new phone. When I called back to tell them to go through with the exchange the lady told me that they would have nothing to do with a phone on iOS 7. So 15 mins later after a nice restore to 6.1.3 I called back and finished the process no problem. So basically play it safe and restore it back to non beta it will work out better for ya :cool: