iPhone warranty replacement in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamUK, May 20, 2009.

1. WilliamUK macrumors newbie

Hi

My iPhone 3G has recently developed a small crack in the case by the silent switch. From searching on the web it seems that this is a fairly common issue. As such I regard this is a manufacturing fault and would like to get my iPhone replaced whilst it is still under warranty (it's about 10mths old now).

From looking on the Apple website it seems that the only way I can get it "serviced" is to book an appointment at an in-store "genius bar".

Just wondering if anyone else in the UK has done this and had any joy - obviously this cannot be fixed so I just want a replacement.

Note that I bought the phone from Carphone Warehouse but would prefer to deal directly with Apple as I presume that they are likely to be more receptive to my problem!

Cheers

William

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I appreciate your predicament - it's a fair old trek over to Bristol to be refused by an Apple genius!

Have you checked with Carphone Warehouse? I'm not a particular fan of theirs, but my daughter had trouble with a 'phone (a Sony I think) bought from them and, as far as I remember, they exchanged it for a new one without even being prompted! So it may be worth your while :)

As a last resort, why not try O2 in Cardiff (Initialy, you don't have to tell 'em where you originally bought it!!!) :D

3. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I had a similar predicament back in January when my handset developed a crack on the rear surface. Had never been dropped or anything, and the crack was below the surface. Was quite odd, as it was in the middle of a corner, and didn't stem out from a port, or the edge of a surface which would have been more understandable.

I bought my phone from O2, but to be honest I didn't even consider taking it back to them. I just assumed it would be a waste of time. I booked a Genius Bar appoinment at my local Apple store and took it in. The Genius took one look at it and said straight away that he would change it no problem. Indeed, he said he had seen hundreds of cracked iPhones, but not one like mine. Whole swap over was done in less than 15 minutes, and was absolutely hassle free.

:)

4. Stiss macrumors 6502a

yep i took my phone in for two cracks close to the docking port.

my phone was otherwise flawless and very well looked after and they swapped it no hastle.

The warranty is with Apple and they are the only ones who can assess the phone and deem a exchange there and then. I get this all the time in my job when customers bring Apple products in which are faulty, another retailer can deal with them but i have to tell my customers it can take 2 weeks so recommend them to go straight to Apple.

5. WilliamUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like a trip over the Severn Bridge to the Bristol Apple Store it is :)

Obviously the crack isn't causing me any problems so I'll just try and schedule it in sometime in the next couple of months (i.e. before my 12mth warranty is up).