iphone warranty replacement.... then upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drewms617, Jun 18, 2010.

1. drewms617 macrumors newbie

hi....my first post here. I was hoping i could get some insight into this.
    I have a 32gb 3GS that has a non working earphone jack. I purchased less than a year ago so its still under warranty.

In the meantime i have the option to upgrade to the iphone 4

so my question is if i get a replacement for my warranty covered 3GS... will that void my upgrade option?

I would like to replace my 3GS for free under the warranty.... then purchase the iphone 4 with my upgrade discount. :)

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

In a word, no.

Your iPhone 3GS has its own warranty and subsidy, and replacing it with or without warranty coverage has no effect on your eligibility.

In fact, it's an unfortunate truth that many people tend to replace their device around the time of an upgrade in order to get a new one which has better resale value. It's unfortunate because it may tend to hurt us in the long run when it comes to prices for warranties and manufacturing costs.

3. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Yeah if the 3GS is faulty then get a replacement and you will be able to sell that if you wish, and upgrade to iPhone 4 without losing eligibility.

4. drewms617 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i just wanted to be sure, not very good at reading all the fine print. Will be much easier to sell a brand new 3GS vs a faulty one to help cover cost of the iphone 4.

So i guess i should get replacement before submitting the upgrade just in case.
    I did briefly talk to someone from apple customer support and asked just about my warranty replacement.... if i can just get it swapped out. His first comment was just 'trade' it in towards an iphone 4?
    Best way is just go into local store and see if can replace my 3GS.... then while doing that i will bring up upgrage option.

As far as it being unfortunate replacing before upgrage... i never thought of how it could hurt the bottom line.
    i paid $300 for this phone and less than 1 year it breaks, it just so happens the timing is upgrade time. So my situation is fair i think. But i do see how people can take advantage of the situation....