iPhone Warranty through AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TJB627, Jul 28, 2008.

1. TJB627 macrumors newbie

So, I ordered my iPhone through DF @ AT&T. It hasn't arrived yet so I was just wondering, what kind of warranty does it come with? Do you have to return it to AT&T or can you take it to the Genius Bar? Also, I believe I remember hearing that they had Applecare Warranties for iPhones, wouldn't you have had to purchase the phone at Apple to get one of those?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

All iPhones are covered under a 1 Year Parts & Labor / 2 Year Phone Support Warranty through AppleCare. For $60 you can upgrade the hardware coverage to 2 years. All iPhone problems can be handled through either the at&t or AppleCare phone systems or at an Apple Store Genius Bar.

TEG

3. Legends20036 macrumors member

You can still buy AppleCare as it is an apple product so it comes with a 1yr Apple warranty. For warranty problems you would go to the genious bar as apples website even says do not take to AT&T for warranty problems.

4. TJB627 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay cool

Would I go to the Apple store to do this? or does AT&T do it?

Thanks for the info guys.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

at&t, Apple Stores, and Apple.com all sell this. If you aren't going anywhere near an Apple Store, buy it on line and save the gas.

TEG

6. dauerhippo macrumors regular

The warranties are not exactly the same, if you purchase at AT&T vs Apple Store. My iPhone needed to be replaced, and the genius agreed to replace it. However, they didn't have any "replacement" phones in stock. They were selling new iPhones like crazy, but they had none of the "replacement" ones. Apparently, if you bought it an an Apple store, they can just grab a new one off the shelf, pull out the phone and give it to you as a replacement for your defective phone. But, if you bought it at an AT&T store, then they have to give you one of these specially marked replacement phones, and they hardly have any of those in stock, so I will have to wait several days for the one they ordered to come in. Rumors on other forums seem to be that these replacement phones are lower quality and possibly refurbished, as people report having significant problems with them (dead pixels, dust under the screen, broken buttons etc). But, that last part is just rumors.

If you don't care about this kind of stuff, then it's no big deal, but if you do - then buy it at an Apple store.

See my thread at HoFo for a more complete description of all this:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1407417

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Regardless of where you buy the phone, if it is to be replaced, it will be replaced with a "replacement phone" as the retail phones have all the extra accessories that you already have. The replacement phones don't need to be activated, you just slide your SIM in and it will work. Replacement phones are a random mix of refurbished phones (either from returns or new ones that did not pass inspections) and new phones.

TEG

8. Legends20036 macrumors member

The reason people who bought the phone at the Apple store can get a new in box replacement currently is because these people are within their 14-day return period that Apple Stores have on products they sell. After their return period they would also get the non-original box/refurbished phones as well as they wouldn't be able to exchange for a different model.