iphone warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moniquetx, Sep 25, 2008.

1. moniquetx macrumors member

I recently bought a 'pre-owned' 1st generation 8GB iPhone from a friend and it works really great.

The iPhone is covered by Apple’s warranty for one year up until November 2008. My question is can I extend the hardware repair coverage on my iPhone beyond the warranty if I buy the AppleCare Protection Plan or will they need some sort of proof of purchase. Just the serial number should be enough right?

I am only asking since I suspect that the serial number is somehow 'linked' to my friend's details (name, address and credit card information) and I will need to change everything under my name if I pay online for the AppleCare.

What do you think??

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The serial number should be enough. If you have worries about the details call Apple...

3. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

You can buy the Apple Care as long as it is still under the original warranty.

4. moniquetx thread starter macrumors member

I think $69 is a fair price for your peace of mind. I also found that with everything power hungry switched off my battery does not last for more than 1 1/2 days. Can I ask for a replacement based on this (from AppleCare Protection Plan Quick Reference Guide)

"This plan also extends service coverage to the iPhone battery when its capacity to hold an electrical charge has depleted fifty percent (50%) or more from its original specification." Or am I really stretching it too far???

BTW I also forgot to mention the phone is unlocked (QuickPwn 2.1) but I'm guessing that I could always do a restore should I need to send it back for repair. Correct?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The serial number is the Proof of Purchase as it is tracked when the device is purchased. So just buy and register the Apple Care.

TEG

6. moniquetx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks TEG. BTW excellent quote.

"Apple and Dell are the only ones in this industry making money. They make it by being Wal-Mart. We make it by innovation - Steve Jobs"

Sad but true :)

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Yeah. When I got Apple Care for my Macbook Pro, all I did was enter the serial number online.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Has the phone ever been activated on an official contract with AT&T?
    If not, you may find it very difficult to get any kind of warranty service / extension

9. moniquetx thread starter macrumors member

Yes it has. The first owner upgraded to a 3G phone recently.
    That's why he wanted to sell his 1st generation in the first place.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You should be fine, then - it was just the "unlocked" bit in your previous comment that set alarm bells ringing...

11. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I think that you are stretching it. 1 and a 1/2 days is quite a long time for the battery to last. $ 69 is definitely worth the piece of mind. I don't usually buy extended warranties, but I have Apple Care on all of my Apple products. I have used it too! Well worth it.:D