Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakepolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
So, I got the cracks in my phone. Bought it last july, never dropped. Could I get it replaced by warrenty? Alos, the screen has a small scratch, could that hurt my chances?

Attachments

• iphone_crack.jpg
    iphone_crack.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 97

iRich1G

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
The Nasty Apple, Taxachusetts
So, I got the cracks in my phone. Bought it last july, never dropped. Could I get it replaced by warrenty? Alos, the screen has a small scratch, could that hurt my chances?

All I can say is try, it you've got nothing to lose. But unless you have apple care, your warranty runs out soon. Apple just replaced my iPhone 3G 8GB no questions asked. My problem was internal though.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008

Translation :

My phone has minuscule cracks in the plastic that never really bothered me since it didn't really affected my phone that otherwise works 100%, but now

I have a scracth on my phone and now I want a new one :rolleyes:

con500

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Translation :

My phone has minuscule cracks in the plastic that never really bothered me since it didn't really affected my phone that otherwise works 100%, but now

:cool: Hmm, Someones having a bad day :D

FYI my iphone had a crack in it on the bottom were it's charger plugs in right in the middle going up about a inch long, i saw a "genius" i recognized at a restaurant showed it to him told him i dropped it , he said it does not look like you dropped it bring it buy to the store maybe they will switch it out and they did no problem. I showed it to the genius at the bar he said all i can do is switch it out for you .:apple:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Translation :

I don't think this comment is fair at all. To me, it sounds like the OP got the cracks (that are a known issue, are they not? :confused:), and the concern is that the scratch might make Apple think that the crack is user-caused.

jakepolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
I don't think this comment is fair at all. To me, it sounds like the OP got the cracks (that are a known issue, are they not? :confused:), and the concern is that the scratch might make Apple think that the crack is user-caused.

exactly. I scratched the screen last year, the cracks turned up in the last few weeks. And part of the reason you buy an apple product is because it looks good, so if it doesn't and it's apple's fault, why not replace it?

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I scratched the screen last year, the cracks turned up in the last few weeks. And part of the reason you buy an apple product is because it looks good, so if it doesn't and it's apple's fault, why not replace it?

How do you fathom that out? :confused:

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Well I'm still confident ( and someone reassured now) that the OP wants to replace the iPhone for cosmetic reasons alone.

I would go into the apple store and show them the "cracked case" thread from this forum, that should strengthen your argument for replacement.

They will probably replace it if the crack is significant enough

I wouldn't even mention the scratch in the front.

jakepolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
To follow up, I took it in and they replaced the screen because there was dust under it. The repair job was done improperly, I brought it back and they gave me a brand new one.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Umm... Stress cracks in the plastic are well known and I had my phone replaced because of this. Nothing new there so the you should have gotten a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.