iphone warrenty swap white to black

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zaidar61s, Nov 7, 2009.

1. zaidar61s macrumors member

oright people?

some of you might be aware that i had a problem with my first white iphone 3gs where it sufferd from hairline cracks. this is my third replacement so far for suffering from hairline cracks.

ive noticed today i have got few cracks around the phone even though the phones been kept under a good sillicone case. so far i have had 3 replacements in 2 weeks.

i am going to go the apple store and ask for a black one as theres noone really complaining from cracks on the black one.

what do you think will they give me a black one seen as ive had so many replacements oredy? any1 had any luck in getting a white swapped for a black?

another thing is i was told by the genius they dont do refurbished phones and all the iphones are new so what do they do with the faulty ones we give back?

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

going to an Apple Store and demanding things won't go far.

3. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Not sure about a swap for warranty issues But a small amount of people ask about this. And everyone says no. Although they just wanted to swap because they wanted a different color.

4. zaidar61s thread starter macrumors member

ill change "demand" to "ask"

has any1 had any luck

i dont really want to swap because i like black honestly i like the white, but the cracks show up too easily and i dont want to keep going to the apple store so id rather have the black.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Normally they will always refuse to swap for a different color because it is a different part number and the system isn't really setup for that.

However, if they believe that the blacks crack less than white, you might get lucky. Perhaps it is actually your case that is causing the cracks though? I don't think I could put enough pressure on an iPhone without sitting on it to make it crack...

6. zaidar61s thread starter macrumors member

well when i was in the store last when the genius took some iphones out the box i recognised some cracks there and he went through about 5 boxes where we found 1 with no cracks at all.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I highly doubt that they will do a warranty exchange for a different part number. But who knows, you might get lucky.

8. boston44 macrumors 6502

9. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Why cant people just deal with their phones....

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

defiantly

don't demand I can assure you that will get you no place. write down some reasons print some proof if you have it. explain you case to the genus hope he/she is in a good mood hope for the best. good luck! there is nothing really else anybody can tell you except going there and being a jerk will get you nothing.

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Exactly... it's regular wear of the phone. If it was any other phone, people wouldn't be so OCD.

Btw OP... black iPhone's crack as well, you just can't see it.

12. zaidar61s thread starter macrumors member

i didnt say they dont crack now did i. you cant seee the cracks on the black as well as the white.

this is not supposed to happen with a phone less that 3 days old. and it wouldnt happen with any other phone in this amount of time. secondly i payed alot of well earned money for this phone so i do give a SH*t about it.

thanks taken your advice, i was on the phone with apple care about 10 minutes ago, i have tos ay the service was great the guy was very helpful he told me that as it was my 3rd phone i should go down there and give abit of word.

will give it a try ive got pictures to prove its not only me with the problem hopefully it will help.

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Did you read what crazzyeddie said? It's possible that your case is causing the cracks. If you put pressure on any plastic, IT WILL CRACK.

I had a white 3G and it had cracks, but the phone worked perfectly. Without putting the phone to my face, I couldn't see the cracks... so why was I going to go out of my way to look like a moron at the Apple store? This is the case with all iPhone's, as I have many friends with white ones... unless you go looking for the cracks, you aren't gonna find them.

Can't you just enjoy your damn phone?

14. zaidar61s thread starter macrumors member

seems like you got a problem with my thread so why not just stay off. its my phone and i wanted some advice. like i said i payed alot of money so i shouldnt expect a thing like this and i can see my cracks without sticking it to my face and NO i would not look like a moron cuz its considerd faulty and they have writted on the apple site they will exchange .keep your opinions out my thread please as i dont want to argue.

and thats the reason why i want a black one not cuz i like it better than white but so i cant see the cracks. BY THE WAY ITS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A SILLICONE CASE TO CAUSE CRACKS EVEN A LITTLE KID CAN WORK THAT OUT.

some people work hard for their stuff some dont im a person that worked hard for it so YES I DO CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I have problems? lol.

The first post I made in your thread I was nice about it, and you acted like a smart ass in your reply.

Want me to have a problem? Search next time before you post buddy... this has been discussed THOUSANDS of times.

I gave you my advice, wasn't that the point of your thread?

Don't come here and start ****, you've been a member for a little over a week.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm glad you can understand the advice. I can't, but good for you.

Three replacements in two weeks??? If you're within the 30 days, I suggest you give back the iPhone and move to a new phone (perhaps a BB or Droid?). I don't see you being happy with the iPhone if you're this critical.

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You better go hide lol :p

18. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

They're probably there. It's the same kind of plastic... Just can't see them on the black plastic. White is much easier to see defects.

19. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

20. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

How many more white for black or black for white threads do we need? :rolleyes:

21. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

My black iPhone 3G has quite a visible crack coming from the dock connector’s corner. I went to my carrier’s store and let them make a note about it in my account, just in case it causes problems later on, but I didn’t have it repaired because that would just be silly.

22. army91c macrumors 6502a

I guess some of you don't mind paying $600 for a phone then having it crack but many do. He isn't being OCD because he expects such a high dollar item to not crack a week after he bought it. I returned my first 3gs for 5 specs of dust under the glass after 5 days... Was I being OCD? If you bought a new car and the dash cracked a week after you bought it wouldn't you want the dash replaced? How about a 1500 plasma tv with dust under the glass..... I guess you would just deal with it because you're not OCD. Give me a break. My replacement 3gs now has about 8 specs of dust under the screen and 2 cracks. Now that I can JB 3.1.2 I will be hitting apple up for a replacement this week.... guess I'm letting my OCD get the best of me. :rolleyes:

In your first post you said the guy was OCD.... that's being nice? The MR peons better bow down to you almighty MR god.... get over yourself.

23. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

The black iPhone just hides the cracks. See carefully. It could possibly be there as some users have noted and noticed over time. Especially around the dock connector and earphone jack. Those are pressure points where the iPhone could possibly crack. Thank goodness, I just checked my iPhone and 0 cracks so far. All my iPhones ( 2G, 3G and 3GS ) have no cracks at all even after I observe carefully. Guess I'm lucky .. :eek:

24. JazzyyJeff macrumors newbie

why does everyone say they paid $600 for the phone?? the 32GB 3GS is only $300. :confused:

25. JazzyyJeff macrumors newbie

I have way more than 8 specs of dust under my screen, plus a few burnt burnt pixels. If I just walk into the Apple Store where I bought my 3GS, will they give me a refurbished replacement on the spot? (I still have the 1-year warranty that came with the phone).