Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HalfLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2015
My iPhone 5 has been having battery issues since last year, so when I brought it to the Apple Store last year they mentioned a recall on the battery. Fast forward as I didn't have time, I took my phone in today to have it serviced.
They said they would replace the battery, which only took an hour.

When I picked it up, the service rep (not the technician) told not only did they replace the battery, but also the screen. He mentioned when the tech tried to removed my screen it broke in 2, said sometimes the glue can come loose. I'm not sure if he meant the LCD and glass separated, or the glass broke in 2.
When I got home I had more time to look at it and notice there are scratches on the glass. They are not big, hair thin scratches, but about 6 of them.

If they had to replaced the glass... Would they have given me a refurb glass part? My previous screen was in mint condition, so if I take it back will they correct, thx.

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
It's really up to the store what they'll do if you go back to them. We can't put words in their mouth. You could always try a phone call to the store first.

All I can say is that these things tend to go a bit easier if you put your foot down and inspect the device properly at the time of pick up.

The glass and LCD are mounted into a thin frame with glue, and that frame clicks into the phone's housing and is screwed into place. Odds are it was the frame that came away from the screen - the glass wouldn't've separated from the LCD, and actually cracking the screen would likewise be quite difficult. Personally I'd've just glued the frame back on. Heh.

Apple reserves the right to use refurb parts, but only the store staff can tell you whether they actually did.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
The longer the timeframe from having the iPhone after repair may have an impact on how they would deal with the scratches you state are not end user caused.

If this was me I'd be more inclined to getting back to the store fast.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
It likely happened during installation.

The sooner you take it back to an Apple Store and address it, the better.

FWIW: if your phone is repaired at the Genius Bar, the parts come from "service stock" that ships in along with regular stock. The screen therefore, is an OEM part direct from factory and should have been pristine prior to installation. A misconception is that parts get recycled in store and repurposed- which isn't the case at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.