Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I think the most important thing is to go through the settings on the device, any new device as well, look through the settings and adjust them based on your data plan, if you suspect an app might use a lot of data, turn it off.

High content apps like Facebook and Twitter try to cache data on the device so it saves your data plan, but unfortunately everyone want's to post a Biden-meme so you're constantly downloading high-space-consuming new content when you open the app.

Ride on just toggling Cellular data for apps off and if you find yourself reaching your quota too quickly after a few days or weeks, start turning off background services, the battery menu will help you, just look at which apps have the most time next to "minutes in background".

Figure out your settings and remember them. You'll likely want to go back and turn adjust those with restoring a device as new or new devices not being restored from iCloud or iTunes backups.

I'm trying to be helpful, and I know that some of these members ticked you off, they were a bit rude in my opinion. However, you cannot blame Apple or us for what you should be doing. Apple just sets the defaults to try and be helpful, they don't get a cut of the check from your carrier.

We are trying to help you, although some could word their posts better, and as for you, you were just where the rest of us were before we found out. It's just a bit of education, and I'm sure other members are looking at this post trying to figure out how they can cut back on their data usage. They just don't have anything helpful to say. You aren't the first, you won't be the last, and you're not the only one.

krazirob

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2016
Baltimore
pretty sure your wifi assist is on
[doublepost=1479260534][/doublepost]someone asked that and i didnt see your reply to their question

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
...who are you talking to?

Precisely 0 people brought up the storage capacity of the phone before yourself just now.

on page 1 of this thread the originator of the thread said.

"Like I said. I have been using this same damn phone for three+ years. This has never happened untill now. And most the apps I´ve been using has been the same. And to your comment in regards to size. Several hundred megabytes is ALOT when your iPhone is just 16gb. "

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
on page 1 of this thread the originator of the thread said.

"Like I said. I have been using this same damn phone for three+ years. This has never happened untill now. And most the apps I´ve been using has been the same. And to your comment in regards to size. Several hundred megabytes is ALOT when your iPhone is just 16gb. "
It sure does, and oddly enough, your comment remains equally irrelevant and unhelpful. Odd.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Not a chance. Even AT&T support has said 2 minutes is 100% normal. If you go into airplane mode and then wifi on. It will take a minimum of 2 minutes it activate AT&T WiFi.
I just did this. 12 seconds. My AT&T Wi-Fi Assist has always been very fast to connect.

As to the OP. If you have a router that has bandwidth recording per IP address then you can see when the phone is using WiFi. My bet is you will see slight WiFi usage when it is asleep. I certainly do which means (for me) that WiFi is not turning off when my iPhone is asleep.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.