iPhone water damage replacement policy

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bpower, Jul 30, 2011.

1. bpower macrumors newbie

So i dropped my iPhone 4 in the toilet, immediately took it out. It was still on but turned off itself. Currently using the "bag of rice"-method. After few hours i took a look and saw that the iPhone was on again with the power off screen on. So i slide it off. Now I have disassembled the back cover and put it back in the bag of rice to continue drying... but im prepared for the worst..

While waiting i was looking for other solutions and found that Apple has a water damage replacement policy of $199 in the US. I am from the Netherlands and as I know they don't have any kind of policy for water damage... there is even no official Apple Store here. -_-'

But in a few days i am going to visit the US. So I was planning to go to an Apple Store to make use of this replacement policy in case my iPhone doesn't work anymore. But my question is if I as an European resident with an European iPhone will be able to make use of this policy in the US and get a replacement for $199?

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

That's a good question. Maybe call apple customer care? I would think you should be able to. It's an out of warranty replacement cost. Apple got your money for your iPhone so...
    It would be pretty jerky of them to not allow it.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The odds of you being able to do this are slim. iPhones can typically only be serviced in the country they were purchased in. Plus, they would not give you an unlocked phone as a replacement for $200.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apples out of warranty replacement scheme is valid in all countries that obviously the iPhone is available in. Just call AppleCare rather than trying the international warranty route. However if you do try for a replacement in the u.s then it'll be like for like.