iPhone Water Damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheCheapGeek, May 17, 2010.

1. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I posted a thread in the FS forum trying to get an idea of the value of a water damaged 3gs. I am curious if Apple will still allow you to pay 199$ for a new phone to replace the water damaged one. I know last year this policy existed for the 3g and I would assume it would be active today? If this does exist I want to verify that getting this new 199$ replacement phone would not extend ones ATT contract.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

It should still be in effect at the store, however you'll want to call ahead of time, obviously

And no, it wouldn't extend the AT&T contract

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It’s still on the website, so it’s still in effect, and no it doesn’t extend the contract.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

It's still in effect. You have to go thru the Genius Bar to get the $199 replacement, so you should make an online reservation in advance.

5. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Wonderful, thats what I was hoping for. Any Ideas what a 3gs with water damage is worth? screen shows some water spots and the speakers are shot but everything else seems ok?

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I'd check eBay or the Marketplace forum if you've got access

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think you’re confused. You have to give the water damaged phone to Apple.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

....to get the $199 price.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes. You can’t make money on this deal. It’s amazing Apple even does what they do.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I know, they have some of the best return policies and customer service out there, yet people still think they should get something more out of it.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Doubt he's trying to make money, perhaps trying to spend a little less.

12. cowsrus macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure he just wants to sell this on ebay saying $200 for a new refurb at apple or something in anticipation of the next iPhone

I would get the refurb then sell that, probably make a lot more money that way

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm thinking more like sell his dead phone for $50-$100 to cover part of the $200 cost of the replacement.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Possibly, but the 3GS is about to go down in price.

You can’t do this. Apple takes the water damaged phone.

15. cowsrus macrumors 6502

well apple takes the water damaged phone don't they?

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Right, but he didn't realize this until you told him. So what I'm saying is he wanted to sell his water damaged phone to cover a portion of the cost of a replacement. He just didn't realize he had to turn in the damaged phone as part of the deal.

17. cowsrus macrumors 6502

possibly the most logical reason

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Anyway, if it was me, I wouldn’t bother doing this (i.e., pay $199 to fix the phone) and then get the new one with hopes of selling the replacement. However, I don’t trust eBay too much. I’d just wait the few weeks and buy the new one and in the meantime try to fix the water-damaged phone.

19. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

I am trying to weigh my options, I am going to buy the new iPhone in june for 199 when it is released with my upgrade. Before the water damage my wife was going to get my 3gs but, since it and her 3g both got caught in the rain; I am figuring out the cheapest way to get the two best phones I can. I will most likely pay 199 to get a new 3gs from Apple then sell the phone to cover the 199 for my new phone and as much of my wifes 399 early upgrade as possible.

Option one:

Replace 3Gs -200
    Sell 3Gs +500
    Sell water damaged 3G +50
    Buy iPhone 4 w/ upgrade -200
    Buy iPhone 4 w/ early ug -400

Total -250

Option Two:

Sell water damaged 3Gs +100
    Buy iPhone 4 w/ early ug -400

Total -450

Option Three:

Replace 3Gs -200
    Keep new 3Gs 0

Total -350

So it looks to me that even if I can only get 400 for the perfect 3Gs I will still be better off and I will have two new iPhones. Are their any visible flaws in the plan? I will sell the 3Gs before the new phone is announced to maximize the value.

20. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

You mean any flaws besides assuming the price of the new iPhone?

If you want the new phone, I'd give yourself the best condition old iPhone to sell. If that means biting the $200 replacement bullet, so be it.

21. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the new iPhone will have a model sold at 199 with at least 16 gb of storage.

22. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

You do? How so? You're the only person in the world to KNOW this who doesn't work for Apple or the iPhone teams at the carriers (and if that were the case, you'd simply swap your iPhone in work for free).

No doubt you're just making an intelligent guess.

There's every possibility that Apple will stagger it's lineup and put the 3GS down a tiny bit in price and have an iPhone HD at a higher price than the 3GS currently is.

Assuming makes an ass out of you and me (ass-u-me...get it?). It's a good lesson to live by.