iPhone Water Damaged, Warranty Eligible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Exegesis48, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

So my iPhone 3GS was water damaged and much to my surprise Apple replaced it for free, in full knowledge of the fact that it had been accidental damage.

Now my question is this; considering I know first hand the heartbreak of losing my precious iPhone, can I get insurance on this replacement device?

Also, if I do get insurance on it, does it make sense, considering I'll be upgrading to the new iPhone 5 when it comes out.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What kind of insurance you had in mind?
    If you're going to upgrade to the next iphone in 5-6 months I wouldnt bother. Just be more carefull with it till you get the new model.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I would just be more careful and wait.

4. Exegesis48 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just wait.

I was thinking something like SquareTrade though, which covers everything.

I had AppleCare on my iPhone, which i think helped in convincing the employee to do the exchange for me.

But I forgot to ask if my AppleCare plan transfers to the new device. When looking online it doesn't show my new phone has AppleCare. Just wondering what Apple's policy would be if I called them up to ask if they could do the transfer.

5. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

About a month ago we started a one-time forgiveness policy at retail stores. All you have to do is be calm and polite and, as long as it hasn't happened before, we'll replace it no problem.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it should transfer to your new replacement iphone.
    You just gotta plug it to the same itunes account you used before and activate it.
    Then check the Expiration date here:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do