iPhone Web Browsers STINK! - What gives?!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maven1975, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I have been back and fourth with iOS and Android for years. After trying the 6 & 6+, I can't believe the amount of crashes and force closes I have seen.

This is with Safari, iCab, Mecury and Chrome. I even restarted the phone to clear the memory. Heavy sites like our local MLS system and Zipforms brings the browser to its knees quickly :(

There are janky apps these sites implimented/offer because of this issue.

Shocking to me, older Android phones, like the GS3, can manipulate and utilize all functions of these sites right in the native browser.

Additionally, the iPad Air functions correctly when using the same sites. (iPhone and iPad Air both 1gb Ram)

Does iPad use a different more robust browser?

What's the deal here?

2. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

If you're using the 128gb version it has more problems than the other versions due to hardware..

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You could try Dolphin. Pretty good browser, I think. No guarantee on the crashes though as if it's happening to you with more than one browser it may not just be the browsers.

4. vncmgn macrumors newbie

Ikr??? It's annoying af. Anyway my solution for this is Opera Mini. I've never even thought about using it before on my past devices but srsly better than safari now that I'm using my ip6+! Try it. It also has other settings Safari doesn't offer

5. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Coming from Galaxy S5 with ART mode enabled using Chrome Beta, I can easily still say Safari is the best mobile browser out there IMHO, The speed and responsiveness of it is still unmatched , althoug Chrome beta is good too

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I am quite happy with Safari on my 128GB 6 and 6+.

NJo crashes:rolleyes:

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I completely disagree, in fact I wish I could get Safari on my Nexus

8. ratsg macrumors 6502

There is an ongoing thread, as of last week, where Mozilla will finally be porting Firefox to Apple IOS.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have not had this experience at all, even on my 128GB iPhone. The browsers are extremely stable, not to mention quite literally an order of magnitude faster than anything on competing platforms.

On the iPad Air 2 it was a different story until the latest update, but now things are generally ok although Mercury still crashes on occasion although I generally keep 10+ browser tabs open.

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

Rumor has it. Certainly not proven.

11. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Not really. Even Apple has acknowledged it and are moving away from that type of storage.

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

Please provide me a link? I haven't read of this.

13. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I love Chrome on my 6+ 128gb...very stable and fast.

14. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

Safari is wicked fast, smooth and sweet. No Issues at all. But I'm coming from IE11 on WP. :D I did try several browsers from the app store and found none that work as well as safari.

15. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have issues when turning the phone for certain forums., I'll get a lag or a black boarder taking up half the screen.
    Very freakinf annoying.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I've been getting a lot of "there was a problem with this oahe" errors on my 6 plus. Only in safari though.

17. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Link?

I have issues with my 128 and I know about the TLC vs MLC issue, but what's this with Apple moving away from that type of storage? My local stores don't seem to have had any 128 in stock for quite some time.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I actually feel the same way. I really like safari, the way it handles tabs, and the overall look.

19. mib1800 macrumors 68000

Safari doesn't reflow text and fit text to width of the screen at the prespecified viewing font size. Big negative for me.

20. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

I use atomic and perfect browser. Have used them for years on both my iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

I've had one crash in that entire time.

21. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I don't know if it is just IOS or the browser, but I really enjoy every video that I play embedded into a browser it will just play 99.9% of the time. I still run into videos that will not play on Android browsers.

on a side note, I like how youtube videos you pull up on safari will launch it in the youtube app (not sure if Chrome does this but I don't think so)