iPhone webclip icons don't work on .mac sites? *solved*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBoobsPro, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have an iwebsite uploaded with .mac but my webclip icon will not work on my iPhone. I know other people with iwebsite and .mac having the same problem. Can someone confirm whether they have had any success with iwebsite and .mac please.

My PNG is in my root folder, my index files folder, and a few other placed but refuses to load. If I need to type something in the head of my site how would I do that when its uploaded with .mac?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i have placed the png in about every folder of my idisk and i cannot get it to work. i was in the other post but no one helped

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I've sent feedback to apple to implement a feature in iWeb that let's you drop an icon into a little window to create an icon to be uploaded with your site.

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

nice

5. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Let me know if you figure it out. Right now I have the icon in 6 different places and it still won't show. :mad:

EDIT: I have tried all kinds of stuff. Editing the HTML docs while on my iDisk placing the png in EVERY folder and still nothing works. Apple has dropped a bollock here (only a small one though).

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah i sent an email to support@apple.com about this, and when i get a response i will message you. if you could do the same that would be great

7. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

I'm not to good with iWeb yet, but perhaps somebody who is can help finish what I'm starting here...

I was able to get this to work by dropping an apple-touch-icon.png file into my iDisk directory /Web/Sites/Site/Media and then adding the following line into my Blank.html (for example) file right above the <title> tag using a text editor:
    HTML:
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/Site/Media/apple-touch-icon.png"/>

Unfortunately the next time I update the file with iWeb my change is overwritten.. including removing the png file from the Media folder! Note it must be in the <head> section of the html file so you can't just insert an HTML fragment with iWeb.

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

what html file is that. is it a new one you create or is it already there

9. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Sorry, basically all the defaults for a brand new site, so the the Site name is Site and the first and only page is named Blank.html

paths are:
    idisk -> Web -> Sites -> Site
    and
    iDisk -> Web -> Sites -> Site -> Blank.html

So if your site name was Bob and your page name was iPhoneFun then I presume you'd want to edit:
    iDisk -> Web -> Sites -> Bob -> iPhoneFun.html

hope that helps!

(These are created with iWeb. I suppose if you wanted to just go in and drop your own HTML files into iDisk->Web->Sites they would work fine??)

10. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Yep I can confirm this, I just dropped an apple-touch-icon.png into iDisk -> Web -> Sites and then created a test-index.html file in the same directory containing only:
    HTML:
    <html>
    <head>
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/apple-touch-icon.png"/>
    <title>somp'n fierce!</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    somp'n fierce!
    </body>
    </html>

Then I brought this up on my iPhone via http://web.mac.com/myuserid/test-index.html and the icon shows up when I create a webclip with it.

Just wish I knew of a way to make iWeb do it natively. hopefully in an upcoming release.

11. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i tried this, i didnt know what to put where u put somp'n fierce. i named the html file indextest.html

12. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

You didn't say whether or not it worked for you...

The first somp'n fierce is the title that will appear in the title bar of your browser. The second somp'n fierce is the content of your web page. This is just a proof of concept for the webclip so I just put something silly in there. Replace both of them with anything you want. If you visit this page with your iPhone you will just get some tiny text in the upper left corner, so it's not very practical. I only meant to demonstrate that it pulls in the proper webclip in .Mac.

13. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

it didnt work, here is how my idisk is layed out

Attached Files:

14. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Simplest way to test this for you is to move indextest.html and apple-touch-icon.png up one directory. They are currently under Sites/BrendanKirchner, and they should just be in Sites/

Ultimately, I think you'd want to add the line of html to your Welcome.html or index.html file within the BrendanKirchner directory. Be sure to make a backup before you play with those files, though!

15. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

FINALLY!!!

I've done it. I went over to the Apple Discussion pages and got an answer. Basically iWeb creates more than one index.html and people telling me how to do it were telling me to edit the wrong index file. You need to edit the index.html file in iDisk/Web/Sites/'yoursitesname'/index.html

A lot of people are saying edit the index.html file in iDisk/Web/Sites which is incorrect.

So step one:

Create your icon to Apples specs.

Two:

Put your icon in iDisk/Web/Sites

Three:

Open iDisk/Web/Sites/'yoursitesname'/index.html in TextEdit. For this to open properly I had to tick 'Ignore Rich text commands in HTML files' in TextEdit Preferences / open and save.

Open iDisk/Web/Sites/'yoursitesname'/index.html and place <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/username/apple-touch-icon.png"/> immediately after <title>index</title>

Obviously substituting your username for username. Click save and the file will save direct back to your iDisk. Open your site on your iPhone and click add to homepage. It should then work.

16. HalMac macrumors newbie

I don't see <title>index</title> in my index.html file.

My site's index.html file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><title></title><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url= Hints.html" /></head><body></body></html>

Where should I insert <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/username/apple-touch-icon.png"/> in my index.html file?

I'm using iWeb '08 (v2.0.3) and Leopard 10.5.1.

17. nairdAdrian macrumors newbie

Paste the line after </title>