iPhone websites

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jshwon, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Am I the only one who prefers regular websites on the iPhone instead of "optimized" iPhone websites? To me it defeats the purpose of browsing the internet as if you were on your desktop. And I know some pages will load faster, but one of the reasons I love the iPhone is the ability to display websites (save flash etc) as you see them on your desktop. I don't want a stripped down version of the internet, I just want the internet! :D

2. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I always go to regular websites only. That is the main reason I have an iPhone.

3. nate94gt macrumors member

im w/ stupid

4. camarobh macrumors 6502

Agree

I agree with you, especially when it is a generic mobile site that you are redirected to. At least give me a choice, a link that I can use to get to the full site. Some iPhone specific sites aren't bad, but even then I want a choice.

5. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Indeed, some are not so bad like Google. But I find most take away from iPhone's abilities. Bank of America is ok but that is becaues once you log in you get the normal website. Only the front page is "optimized".

6. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Depends upon the quality difference.

Sometimes i just go to iPhone optimized/Phone optimized because its faster.

7. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Good point. If I'm in a hurry they could be useful. Really depends on if there is wifi around or even some areas the EDGE seems faster. I do miss the speed of EVDO when I was on sprint. That with the PPC6700 used to blaze.

8. travis123 macrumors newbie

I bought the phone so I could go to any website. While its slow, it seems worth it to me because there is always something missing from the "iphone" website. An example I have that drives me crazy is the www.nfl.com website. It automatically detects that I am a mobile device and sends me to an ultra cheesy website with virtually no info on it. This just started happening about a month ago or so. And there is no place on this website to get back to the good version. I dont mind if Im directed there but I would like to have a method to get back to the good one. Anyone know a way?

As an example, www.foxnews.com does the same thing except I can click a button that says go to the normal site. Then I bookmark that site. Not that big of a deal. But the NFL one has no button for that.

And the nfl website has this cool page that shows all scores of all games going on at any given time. And it refreshes automatically every couple of seconds. Very helpful on trips and stuff when Im away from a TV. But not very good for the battery.

9. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

BofA has an entire mobile site. it has all the features of the full site but without all the extra crud.

Some mobile sites I prefer over the full site such as reading google reader. It just depends on the site really.

10. naquada macrumors newbie

some sites are nicer in iphone format.. but I'd want a choice.. some sites redirect you regardless.. thats wrong...

others give you the choice.. for instance, facebook is ok on iphone format.. but sometimes i want the full site.. if i'm on the move and quickly need access.. the iphone specific version is just great.. same with twitter over on thincloud ( http://twitter.thincloud.com/ ) thats a great way to utilise the iphone screensize, without loosing anything.. it's quicker than the true twitter site (www.twitter.com) and is optimised for GRPS and edge..

same for google.. the google iphone specific sites gives me everything i need.. in a compact view.. but I should have the choice or 'true web' or iphone web.. otherwise there pretty much no point in having the ability to view the true web..!!

11. BjornD macrumors newbie

How about bjorn's top tip right here from brussels,
    go to google.com
    Type in the preferred website
    Then search it in the google list
    Do not press the website but press one of the categories

Example
    Nfl.com
    The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Fantasy Teams
    Scores Regular Season
    Standings Video
    Schedules Game Highlights

Dont press nfl.com but press teams or fantasy and tadaa you are now on the normal website good surfin guys ;-)

Edit- try avoiding home buttons, because thos will take you to the mobile versions

12. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'll throw out a counter example. TUAW.

Seriously, look at i.tuaw.com on your iPhone, and then try looking at the full version of the site. I know which I would choose to look at on my tiny phone screen.