IPhone went dead

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by griff5499, Mar 4, 2016.

1. griff5499 macrumors newbie

My Iphone 4 was at 96% charge, turned it off and ten minutes later it was completely dead. Plugged it in and charger light doesn't even come on. Do I need to replace battery?

2. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

More than likely. Take it to Apple Store.

3. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

How old is that phone? Has the battery been replaced before?

4. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

Similar thing happened with my 4. The phone just randomly died one day.

The phone came back to life after a week. I just left my phone alone for a week, and then plugged it to the charger for 24 hours or so. And one morning, I woke up to a vibrating sound of my 4. Ironically, I was scheduled to buy a 5S that same morning.... In the end I just bought a new phone.

Here are some things to try:

First try connecting to a computer, and see if it turns it back on.

And Try hard reset (push home button AND lock button together for 30 seconds or so). Do it multiple times.

Leave the phone out in the cold weather for a couple of hours. Then bring it back inside, and let it warm for several hours. Then charge the phone, and leave it plugged in for 24 hours or so.

Or leave the phone alone for a week (if you can live without a phone for a week, or if you have another phone), and charge it afterwards.

Buy a new phone.

5. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

How was the battery life after you were able to get it to power on again?

6. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

It is about the same as before. But I wiped my 4 to use it as an iPod, so I can't give you the precise comparison. Now I only have several apps installed, and every single setting that can drain battery is off (location service, notification, background refresh, iCloud, etc.). The phone lasts at least a week. Other than listening to music, I also occasionally watch videos on YouTube.

7. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Wow, that's impressive. Never had any diagnostics run on it by Apple support or anything? Just wondering what the actual state of the battery is. I guess in your phone's case it was just a software issue causing it, perhaps.

8. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

Never took the 4 in for any diagnostics. From what I remember, the phone barely lasted 4 hours after 39 months of ownership. The battery life really started to degrade after updating to iOS 7 in August of 2014.

I am not sure whether what I experienced with 4 was hardware or software issue... Never gave it a thought. haha.