iPhone: What can I do without a carrier or SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sunsnewmac, Nov 16, 2010.

1. sunsnewmac macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

If want to buy an unlocked iPhone and use it more like an iPad--for PDA, WiFi and also for its GPS capability--what can/cannot I do without a SIM/G3 carrier contract (besides the obvious inability to make calls on the network, etc)? I am considering getting a MiFi device and use the iPhone as a WiFi device only. I assume I can use its WiFi capacity to use Skype for calls/txts, right? What about accessing Google Maps and using the iPhone as a SATNav--is that possible without the G3?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Why not just get it on pay-and-go, then don't bother topping up when the initial amount is used up?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes you can use google maps and other navigation apps as long as you got that mifi connection.
    Basicly everything but phone calls/texts/mms/facetime or visual voicemail.

4. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

I am certainly considering that, thank you!

5. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

would it do anything more then an ipod touch?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The ipod touch doesnt have a GPS chip.
    Other than that and the phone part thats the only difference.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

iPod Touch is 1/2 the price of an iPhone 4 ... that is a lot of dough to add GPS :cool:

10. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

I know! I thought about this myself...the difference in price is not a small issue. Of course, I'd rather not have to carry around a stand-alone SatNav in addition to my other gear. I have also considered that I can get free maps on an iPhone (such as with OffMaps) but can't do that with a SatNav--you need to pay for new countries and the maps can run around $100 each. Decisions, decisions...

11. fmen macrumors newbie

I have tried both navigon and tomtom on my 3gs with fair results. The gps chip just doesn't seem as receptive as on the standalone models.
    My two cents.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Works fine with both my old 3GS and new iphone 4.
    Locks signal right away and reception is solid with Navigon.

13. Bunkered macrumors newbie

Used Navigon on my old 3G and now have it running on my iPhone 4 and it is screaming fast. On the 3G it worked fine but took a long time to start up and acquire the GPS signal. On the 4 it is really fast.

14. JoelTGM macrumors member

don't forget the camera on the iphone 4 is much better though, so if you enjoy taking pictures, you'll want the iphone. I am doing the same thing as you, just using it like an ipod touch. What I did is get a prepaid sim card for it, so I can just leave the card in the phone to keep it activated and all that, but never use the phone part of it. I bought my iphone 4 used, but it looks good as new, and it even came with a screen protector so I don't have to buy one now heh.

15. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

Thank you, I was just reading about how to use an iPod Touch as an actual GPS device and it turns out that the cost of a dongle or a GPS case would jack up the price to within $150 or so of the iPhone anyway. Considering the better camera (and from what I read also better screen) it probably is more worth it to get the iPhone versus that option. Still struggling with the decision tho

16. Resist macrumors 68030

You can make free unlimited calls via wifi within the continental US with the free Whistle Phone app.

17. sunsnewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

sunsnewmac

I didn't know that. So even an unlocked iPhone bought directly from Apple without a carrier contract still needs to be jailbroken to be able to use certain apps or do certain things? Is that also true with an iPod Touch? I thought that paying the full price meant that jailbreaking wasn't necessary, because it was yours to do what you want with it.