iPhone: What they should do, right...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rugbyboy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. rugbyboy macrumors member

rugbyboy

Ok besides the needed things (MMS, higher res camera, video recording etc) I reckon there are 2 things that the iPhone needs that could push it into truly great terrain.

These are based around .mac - i think the Apple should use the iPhone to push people towards .mac. Perhaps include a free 1 year memebership when you activate. From this they could do the following.

1) Back to my mac on the move - since Back to my mac is on the iPhone and it uses OS X surely they could make a version which works on the iPhone, perhaps in list only view, which would allow you to retrieve files on your home/work Mac.

2) .mac pushmail - one of Apple's strengths is taking existing technology and either simplifying it or popularising it. Push email is something that they could do exactly this with, which would be easy for them if it was based around a .mac account. If you add to this proper syncing between Mail (or Outlook) and the iPhone so deleted messages, replies are kept up to date you have something, to me at least, very attractive.

Now if you add to these two a mobile version of iWork to update/edit/proof documents on the go which is compatible with Microsoft Office, the iPhone is looking like a pretty attractive corporate device. Also if Apple were to release a product sorely missing from their line - a home server - then this could tie in extremely well, allowing easy site creation and access to stuff at home.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I agree with both of those, although for an iPhone to fully replace what I'm using right now it'd also need internal GPS and the ability to run TomTom SatNav, along with easy access to the file system (for loading/saving small utilities and config files that I use at work)