iPhone white screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by XTR2000, Jul 22, 2010.

1. XTR2000 macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I've got an iPhone 3g 8GB that has been fine for the past few months. Couple of nights ago while reading an email the screen distorted, causing the email i was reading at the time to break up. Part of the email appeared at the top of the screen and the rest at the bottom with a black line through it all. I rebooted the iphone and all was fine. Until last night when it done the same and has never recovered.

At the moment when I turn on the iphone it goes to a white screen which eventually will display coloured vertical lines on it.

I've managed to get the iphone into DTU mode and itunes has detected it. I tried a restore but it failed. Do you think there is a hardware problem with the screen or GPU??? Or is it stuck in recovery mode... i tried irecovery but it wouldnt detect the phone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

p.s. The phone is out of warranty.

2. xela24678 macrumors regular

i have a friend that said that his computer wouldn't let him restore his ipod touch. turns out that his computer was outdated so he had to upgrade to windows 7. try upgrading the computer or something like that

3. XTR2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not the PC. Running win7 ultimate with latest updates.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

normally I would tell you based on half of the screen going away that your LCD is bad and needs replaced. and I really think it does on yours!

but, here is the problem I am having with a 3gs right now. it works perfectly until it is locked. hit the home button or the off/on button and the screen is white. reboot the phone and it is perfect again until it locks. then white screen again. I really think this is a software issue but I cant restore it because it is jailbroke and on 3.1.3. but it was doing this before I jailbroke it today so that has nothing to do with it.

any ideas?

5. xela24678 macrumors regular

If t really bothers you, update. If not, stick through it since you can't get apple help because of the jailbreak.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I replaced the lcd and all is well! I really didnt think it was the lcd because when I would reboot it would work. really thought it was software related but glad it wasnt so I would not have to update.