iPhone, why not to buy? please list bugs, annoyances, missing features

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xchaotic, Aug 4, 2008.

1. xchaotic macrumors member

I've waited for a while to see if there are any major showstopper issues in the new iPhone, but nothing too serious in my view.

Can existing owners please list what annoys them most?
    I'd especially appreciate any items that are not easily fixed in software.

For me some major issues are: inability to use as a modem with a laptop(?)
    huge price, closed non Open Source ecosystem, unavailability of Pay as you Go (as of yet) phones, poor battery life etc.

But I'm still thinking of taking the plunge as it's one of the best phones on the market and it would compliment my Macbook as well. I'd also want to show my appreciation to the effort Apple is putting towards good design and usability.

So to sum it up, any reason I shouldn't buy? (other that I really don't need it)

2. ucbearcats macrumors member

Open your eyes, they are everywhere on this board

3. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Depends on what you need it for. If you are a casual user that just wants to replace a cell phone and an ipod with lots of other cool features to use, then the iphone is great! No complaints here despite some bugs that will be worked out.
    If you are a serious business user that constantly has to be connected, send lots of emails, keep a great deal of data on the phone or even use it as a modem, maybe it wont work for you...but I doubt that the majority of iphone users have any need for these items. Sure, I would like some of them as I do run my own business, but they are not requirements, I cant stand Blackberries or Palm's and I can live without these other features for now to have a good, solid, all-in-one, fun phone with only a few, minor (IMHO) missing features.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) It can be used as a modem with your computer, with the NetShare App (if it is available in your country). Or you can snag it whenever it shows up in the US store.

2) The iPhone is quite cheap when on a plan.

3) There is nothing preventing Open Source software from being developed for the iPhone. There is just a verification process that apps have to go through before becoming available.

4) Pay-as-you-Go is supposed to be coming, but not until the Contract Customers have their orders filled and supplies stabilize.

5) Battery life is great for "normal" people (those that aren't using data all the time). It also helps when you turn off Location Services when you don't need it. Also it lasts longer on EDGE than on 3G.

TEG

5. NSNick macrumors regular

Thousands of dollars a year paid to AT&T would probably be the biggest reason not to get an iPhone.

6. iqwertyi macrumors regular

Answer: Disposable Income.

It's the way I've always decided these types of purchases.

7. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It's insane that iPhones are sold as popular as they are while we are going through an economic slump.