iphone Wi-Fi says its connected but then isn't

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Scottlesprockle, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Scottlesprockle macrumors newbie

I have just gotten a brand new iphone (3G) and when I tired to hook it up to the Wi-Fi at home it told me it was connected and so I went to use safari and it wouldn't load. Then an error box told me the Wi-Fi couldn't connect. So I investigated and the IP address on the phone is different to that on the computer, this is the same with the subnet mask. Any ideas?

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's possible your wifi is bad. If it keeps happening, put the phone in two bags, place it in the freezer for 10 minutes, and if it connects, the wifi or chip is overheating. if so, take it back to Apple.

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

how does it come to people to do this? i mean really? those things are so random. they probably happen by accident like some kid thinking he can eat it as an ice pop. lol.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's called the "freezer test." When I got a refurb and got it home, the wifi didn't work and I tried everything. Finally I came across this test in the Apple Discussions website and tried it. My wifi worked for 10-15 minutes and then stopped. I used that info with the Genius to prove it wasn't some software glitch.

There a number of other tests: :)
    Drop test: Drop your iPhone from the 2nd floor. If it breaks, your iPhone is not durable.
    Step on test: See Drop Test.
    Toilet test: Drop your iPhone in the toilet. If it stops working, your iPhone is not water resistant.
    Pool test: See toilet test.

*I don't recommend these last four tests. Many people keep doing these tests though. Oh well. One day an iPhone will pass.

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

one vid on youtube had somebody recording a video with an iphone, and dropped it in a pool and it was still recording, with the mic still working, and we go to see the whole thing. these phones are pretty durable. if my friends iphone gets bricked, im gonna put on the number one recommended case on it, and we're gonna drop it off the empire state building and see what happens. only if it gets bricked.....and if we can get a permit. lol.

8. Scottlesprockle thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tired resetting the network settings and still no change, my last iPhone did this so we got a new one after apple put it down to 'Water Damage'. I am sure I am connected to the right network also.

9. pcs are junk macrumors 65816