Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobaltchroma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
does anyone know why the iPhone and the iPod Touch dont have 802.11n wifi antennas yet?
or do you think thats in store for an 09 update?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
1) They probabyl use more power (just a guess on my part)

...but more importantly:

2) WHY would you need that? From what I can tell, a lot of web-rendering is being held up by the procressor, not the network speed. Getting a faster connection wouldn't make pages load any faster if that's the case. Also, you're not e-mailing really large files from the phone. A photo at a time doesn't add up to much and there's no easy file-management system to be downloading and attaching other large files from.

Basically, you'd probably only notice the difference in speed once or twice a year, during some very specific and rare task.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
1) They probabyl use more power (just a guess on my part)

Right you are. At the moment, 802.11g chipsets have a lower power draw then 802.11n-capable ones.

In addition: why? What are you connecting to that requires >50mbit speeds? I can see the case for 802.11n on a laptop, but it seems rather pointless on a device like the iPod touch/iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.