iPhone WideScreen Movies

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolio86, Aug 8, 2009.

1. coolio86 macrumors newbie

I am trying to get a WideScreen 16:9 DVD movie to look like 4:3 letterboxed on my iPhone. I just want it to LOOK like it's letterboxed on my iPHONE, I am not trying to actually make it letterboxed. I just want more of the movie to take up more of the screen, but I still want the black borders on the top and bottom. I use Handbrake, PLEASE help me.

2. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I'm sorry, I can't help with this, but I was just curious what letterboxed is?

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Did you know that double tapping the screen while the movie's playing will togle between full screen and wide screen (which looks letter boxed) modes? Try that and see if it gives you what you want.

The iPhone screen is 16x10, so in 'wide screen' mode a 16x9 movie will show with black bars above and below. In 'full screen' it expands to fill the screen vertically, but cuts off the edges.

4. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Does handbrake support de-css? and if not, what does?

5. coolio86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know what you mean, but double tapping the screen doesn't give me what I want. 4:3 Letterboxed is when a movie has black bars on the top and bottom, but doesn't take up half of the screen. Widescreen is basically letterboxed, with the black bars on the top and bottom takingup about half of the screen. I want the movie on the iPhone to have block bars on the top and bottom, but not take up much space overall on the screen. I just want the movie to look like it's 4:3 letterboxed, when it plays on the iPhone.

6. coolio86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if supports de-css or not, I don't even know what that is.

7. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

new movies are encripted with css to prevent ripping. Its the image on the back of the dvd box that has the two dvds with the red line through em

8. coolio86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, no, it does not. It can't convert movies movies straight from the DVD, it always freezes in the middle. I burn the movies to hard drive using DVDFabDecrypter, then I convert the burned movie.

9. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean at all. Are you saying you want the movie the same width as a 4:3 video, which would have black bars on the sides (known as pillar-boxing) and be letter boxed, so that it would show with black all around, taking up less of the total screen?

10. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Yep I don't get it either

11. coolio86 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I mean I would want the movie to look 4:3 with black bars on the top and bottom, but NOT look 16:9 Widescreen.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The OP seems confused. 4:3 on a wide screen display doesn't result in black bars on the top and bottom. They're on the sides. The 16:9 movie would more likely give the black bars on top and bottom.

13. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I wish you the best luck but isn't an iPhone movie small enough to start with??

14. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Do you mean that you want to compress your 16:9 movie horizontally, so that it has the same proportions as a 4:3 movie? No, I don't think that's what youre asking.

Maybe if you answered these questions:

Is your original movie 16:9, or some other aspect ratio? (there are 'widescreen' movies that are wider than 16:9)
    Do you want to see all of the original image (nothing cropped)?
    Do you want the image on the iPhone to be 4:3, 16:9, or some over aspect ratio?
    Do you want the image to fill the iPhone's screen horizontally, vertically, neither or both?

15. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I think I finally figured it out. My guess is that you've got a movie that's actually wider than 16:9, so when you view it 'widescreen' (with the black bars), the black bars are bigger than you want and the movie is too small (top to bottom) even though it fills the screen horizontally. Is that what you've got?

This is what a 2.35:1 movie looks like on the iPhone screen:
    2_35x1.jpg

and this is a 16:9 (which is the same as 1.778:1) video:
    16x9.jpg

does this look like the problem you're trying to solve? If so, in Handbrake click the 'Picture Settings...' button, then either reduce the width of the movie in the 'Size' settings (uncheck 'Keep Aspect Ratio'), which will shrink the movie horizontally, or in the the 'Crop' settings select 'Custom' then increase the left and right numbers to cut off the sides and bring the 'shape' of the movie down to what you want.

16. coolio86 thread starter macrumors newbie

My movie is 2.35:1, but I want it to look like it's 1.778:1, on the iPhone. Your pictures helped me out a lot.

17. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Ok, so in Handbrake 'Picture Settings...' you can either squish the movie horizontally using the 'Size' settings, or you can chop off the sides using 'Crop', or you can use a combination of the two for a compromise solution. You can play with settings to get it the way you want it.

18. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Wow...after reading this thread, I need a shot of tequila...I'm so confused...:confused:

19. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Your kidding right? Even with the pictures in post 15? Then your never going to understand, but in case you do want to know what's going on, pay attention only to post 1,5,14-17. The rest is not important. If all else fails, get your drink on and move along.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You and me both! Who is buying?

21. coolio86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, but what should I set the Size settings to?

22. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Good choice of movies!

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Black borders are overrated.....:p

Attached Files:

24. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Offhand, I'm not sure, but we could do some calculating and figure it out. It's not really important to get the exact numbers, though. If you make the movie narrower (either by shrinking, cropping or some of each), it will fill the iPhone's screen better even if it's not exactly 16:9. Handbrake gives you a preview window in 'Picture Settings...', so you could just fudge the numbers a little to get something that looks closer to 16:9 and it will look better on your phone.