iPhone wifi behaving differently...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by floobie, Dec 23, 2013.

1. floobie macrumors member

So, the wifi on my 5S has been behaving differently lately. Basically, it's connecting to any unprotected network it can. Before, it would only connect to wifi networks that I had explicitly told it to remember, and ignore everything else. Now anytime I walk by a Starbucks or something, it connects. This is annoying because these networks inevitably have some kind of a browser based login thing, and the connection doesn't actually work until you do that. So, if my phone happens to connect to one of these networks, my data basically ceases to work.

I have but one theory as to why this is happening now: iCloud Keychain. Is it possible that I've connected to a Starbucks network with my MacBook at some point, and my phone is automatically connecting to it as a result? Do
    I have the right idea here? Has anyone else run into this? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

You've confirmed Settings --> WiFi --> Ask To Join Networks is set properly?

3. floobie thread starter macrumors member

I have it turned off. I always have. That used to mean that it wouldn't bug me to join every random network out there, and it would only join known ones.

4. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

Does it only occur on public networks owned by large corporations like Starbucks, McDonald's, etc?

It could be the new wifi hotspot 2 feature in iOS 7, which to me is spyware as there's no way to turn it off.

http://m.tuaw.com/2013/06/11/apple-ios-7-supports-wi-fi-hotspot-2-0/

5. floobie thread starter macrumors member

Not exclusively. It does it with my work wifi as well. I use it on my Macbook Air, because I kind of have to. But, I don't want to use it on my phone because it kind of sucks and will often prevent iMessages from going through. Even so, it connects to it automatically every time I get to work, and I always have to go in and tell it to "forget network".

This lead me to believe that it was an iCloud Keychain thing. I mean, I checked my iMac at home, and it does have a bunch of random networks in its list that it's never connected to, but my Macbook Air has (McDonalds, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, etc).

6. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Yes its the iCloud Keychain which is syncing this info across your devices ... for now there is no per-device setting for this so either its ON or OFF