iPhone wifi from imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hawk1226, Jan 14, 2008.

1. hawk1226 macrumors member

So i was searching through the posts about the Airport express as i was hoping to get wi-fi for my room so i could use it for my iPhone. When i went to the store they said i could use the express to plug into the wall ethernet jack and it would create the wi-fi from my wired internet modem downstairs.

But my brother has a new imac less then 50 feet from my room...can that create a wi-fi signal if its plugged into the wall? I didn't really understand what was going on when i read this in another thread so many someone can tell me if i can save some cash and just have the iMac run the wi-fi or if i its smarter to get the express if i want continuous wi-fi in my room.

I dunno if having the iMac create the wi-fi means you can't you use it? etc...
    Just concerns i need addressed. Thanks

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Go to System Preferences- Sharing- Internet (tab)- and set this up using the Airport option. This will create a network using your iMac as the router (origin of the signal).

3. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i did that and now i have wi-fi in my room haha....but does having internet sharing on that computer affect its internet or anything else...or is it just additionally putting out wi-fi as well?