iPhone WiFi HotSpot for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipedro, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

iPhone tethering didn't work with iPad because it required Bluetooth pairing. Is iPhone with iOS4.3 going to allow tethering to an iPad since it'll just be like any other WiFi hotspot?

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Not in the sense that I mention. The carrier only enables tethering, not which devices can connect to it.

Once the WiFi Hotspot feature is enabled (with the carrier's permission) it becomes just like any other WiFi hotspot which even the iPad can use.

Currently, even if your carrier allows tethering, you still can't tether to an iPad because it must be via bluetooth or USB.

Now, unless the WiFi hotspot feature specifically picks out and blocks iPads as clients, then the iPad3G is just about to lose its raison d'être.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

A hotspot means your iPhone will give off a WiFi signal, which then means any device would be able to use it (up-to 5 device).

so yes to your question, the iPad will be able to use the Wifi from your iPhone hotspot rendering the iPad + 3G and its $130 premium, useless (granted, if AT&T allows HotSpot to work on the AT&T iPhone)

5. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

You're assuming that all iPad owners also own an iPhone 4. Although many do, I'm quite confident in saying that many don't. I know a few :)

6. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Well, that decides it, I'm getting an iPad 2 without 3G.

I was thinking of getting a 3G to future proof myself in case I started wanting to use the iPad outside of my home, but I also didn't have the stomach to pay for yet another data plan. I already pay for my home internet and iPhone data plans and a third one for the iPad was beginning to get crazy. :eek:

This makes the decision much easier. I already use my iPhone to tether to my MacBookPro.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

^^

if your in the US and on AT&T, it looks like your going to need a tether data plan on your iPhone, which is an additional $20 a month from your current data plan and a 2GB data cap (so like $45 a month for data). I read somewhere that Verizon is going to include it free with your data plan (so only $30 for unlimited data)

8. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

You never know, apple may implement something in either the iPhone or the iPad to prevent the iPad connecting to the iPhone's hotspot... Has anyone actually tried it with the beta?

9. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I have been dealing with the same issue, jumping in when the iPad 2 comes out and did not want to regret not going 3G, but this means that if I find I really need connection when not on wifi I can just enable the hotspot option on my iphone 4. Although I think that would cause me to have to give up my grandfathered unlimited data. That is just an assumption.

Can use the extra $130 to get a Zaggmate case and sleeve combo. Gonna be a long wait till April.

10. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I'm in Canada. We don't have to pay for a tethering plan. We simply use our existing data. Otherwise would be a serious ripoff. I'm already paying for the data! Now you want me to pay to use it?? I know at&t does it, I don't know how you guys take it. Good thing Verizon is here to provide competition.

11. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

In theory yes, I live in Colombia, South America, and here they don't charge extra for tethering, so I guess it will be possible here.