iPhone=>WiFi=>iMac=>internet possible??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wackymacky, Jun 18, 2008.

1. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

I know it is likely to have been discussed but I can't find it, so I'm sorry if it is tedious. I'm used to macs but just thinking about getting a iPhone.

is it possible (with out extreme difficulty) to us the iPhone to connect to a home Wi-Fi network to make Voice over IP (eg Skype) calls? and use the ADSL connection ising the iPhone's broswer?

Would I need a wireless router to do this, or can I connect to my iMac via Wi-Fi, then use cabled ADSL Internet Gateway Router to witch my Mac is connected to access the net?

(I'm not asking for instructions, just if it is possable before I fork out for the phone.)

Thanks heaps.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

If I'm understanding you correctly, you will be able to do that by enabling internet sharing over 802.11b/g. If that's not what you're asking, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

3. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

I believe I read somewhere that VOIP is being worked on but as of right now you would have to jailbreak your iphone...

as for the the browser I believe you could use the iMac's broadcasted wifi.. but I dont believe it would have that great range/functionality I have cable and I use my iPod Touch with my wireless router all the time so I would recommend a wifi router but it is not completely necessary

4. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 65832

wackymacky

What I want to be able to do is to access the internet to use the browser and make Voice over IP call at home using my iPhone.

I was hoping I could use the WiFi / 802.11b/g on on the iPhone to make a wireless network with my alu iMac allowing the iPhone to share the ADSL connection.

The iMac is connected to ADSL via the Ethernet port to a router. ie not a wireless router.

5. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

like I said you should be able to do a internet sharing from your iMac ** but I dont believe it would have that great range/functionality**

6. EnigmaMac macrumors newbie

Not certain if this will help, but it's something that has me excited for the SDK releases! Take a look in this:

http://www.icall.com/iphone/

Hope it helps.:)

7. ellsworth macrumors 6502a